1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone recommend supplementary texts books for Electromagnetism and Thermodynamic

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    Can anyone recommend supplementary texts books for Electromagnetism and Thermodynamics? I'm looking for some alternatives to my recommended textbooks. The first class is an electromagnetics class. This class is heavily calculus based and consists of building up concepts that culminate to maxwell equaitons. The recommened text for this class is "electricity magnetism and light" by wayne saslow. I really don't like the presentation of the material in this book because it is very tightl packed. I find it very difficult to absorb. I am looking for an alternative book/s, old or new, its not a big deal. If i can find it used on amazon, all the better. The second class is "classical thermodynamics". Prereqs assume decent knowledge of the workings of partial differential equations, so I am assuming this making it from where from novice to intermediate level thermodynamics. I do not know the recommened text for this class so I don't know what to compare it too. Any suggestions would be useful. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2
    Re: Can anyone recommend supplementary texts books for Electromagnetism and Thermodyn

EM - Griffiths
    TH - Schroeder

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    Re: Can anyone recommend supplementary texts books for Electromagnetism and Thermodyn

I strongly support Howers's recommendations. I used Griffiths to supplement my E&M book (Wangsness) and found it very useful. Schroeder is a wonderful source for gaining insight with clear discussions on the major topics. Be warned, though: Schroeder has few examples and no solutions at the back of the book, so perhaps it's not the best choice if you're looking for extra problems to work.

5. May 28, 2009 #4

Griffiths is the way to go for EM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook