1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone see how to solve this series

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    i need to say prove that the following converges with n from 1 to infinity

Σ((-1)n-1)*((lnp(n)))/n) (p>0)

first thing i see here is integration, so i can tell if the series of absolute values converges or not, if it does then i know that my original series must converge.

t=ln(n)
    dt=dn/n

so i have an integral from 0 to infinity of

tp dt

which is a simple integration and i find that the absolute values' series diverges which tells me that my series may conditionally converge if
    lim an =0 (which it is)
    and an>a(n+1) which it is not since the series keeps on rising in its absolute value, because of "p".

so how do i prove that the series converges?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) Note that your integral runs from 1 to infinity, not from 0
    2) The convergence of the integral depends on the value of p
    3) If I read your post correctly you think you have shown that it always diverges, so why are you asking for a proof that it converges?

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    1) the original integral(dx) would have been from 1 to infinity, but after substitution(t=lnx) it runs from ln(1) which is 0
    2)originally i also thought that the convergence depends on p, but it is given that p>0, and for any p, (lnx)^p/x is smaller than 1, not sure that it depends on p, plus the answer in the book is independant of p
    3) i have shown that Σ|An| diverges, but that does not mean that ΣAn diverges necessarily, that is sort of the whole question, how do i find if it does or doesnt

5. Apr 17, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, I'm sorry, I completely missed your point apparently...

So you have shown that there is no absolute convergence for any p, the question is then if there is conditional convergence, right?
    I think the Leibniz test may help you with that.

6. Apr 17, 2009 #5
    i also thought that, only that i have no way of proving that an>an+1, in fact i think that an is not necessarily bigger than an+1,
    for small n's, an is even smaller than an+1, for example a(1)=0 a(2)>0 because of ln,

is it enough to say that for n->inf, an>an+1 and so the seires conditionally converges, for smaller n's it really depends on p, but for very large, infinite, n- ln(n)^p is always smaller than n,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook