1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone solve this?

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    A uniform rod has a length of 2m. It is hinged to a wall at the left end and held horizontally by a vertical massless string at the right end. What is the angular acceleration of the rod the moment the string is released?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

angular accel = tangential accel (in this case gravity) / radius
  4. Feb 4, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Easiest way : [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex], which means torque = moment of inertia*angular acceleration.

What is the moment of inertia of a rod of uniform length about the end ?

What is the torque exerted by the weight of the rod about the end ?
  5. Feb 4, 2005 #4
    I think that [tex]I=1/3(ML^2)[/tex]
  6. Feb 4, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Correct. You don't have to know the derivation, but it's fairly simple using a little calculus.

What's the torque about the end ?
  7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    Ok I got it, thanks, [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex] when [tex]\tau =1/2mgL[/tex] and therefore [tex]\frac{1}{3}(ML^2)\alpha=1/2mgL[/tex] and angular acceleration ends up being 7.35.

You see, the problems I post here are the ones I am studying for the next physics science league, is a competition between schools here in NJ.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  8. Feb 4, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

Excellent, you got it (except both your m's need to be the same case) ! :smile:
  9. Feb 5, 2005 #8
    Please forward me your request to my email address <ken@mv.ru>
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?