Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can anyone solve this?

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    A uniform rod has a length of 2m. It is hinged to a wall at the left end and held horizontally by a vertical massless string at the right end. What is the angular acceleration of the rod the moment the string is released?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

rpc

angular accel = tangential accel (in this case gravity) / radius

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Easiest way : [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex], which means torque = moment of inertia*angular acceleration.

What is the moment of inertia of a rod of uniform length about the end ?

What is the torque exerted by the weight of the rod about the end ?

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4
    I think that [tex]I=1/3(ML^2)[/tex]

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Correct. You don't have to know the derivation, but it's fairly simple using a little calculus.

What's the torque about the end ?

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    Ok I got it, thanks, [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex] when [tex]\tau =1/2mgL[/tex] and therefore [tex]\frac{1}{3}(ML^2)\alpha=1/2mgL[/tex] and angular acceleration ends up being 7.35.

You see, the problems I post here are the ones I am studying for the next physics science league, is a competition between schools here in NJ.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  8. Feb 4, 2005 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Excellent, you got it (except both your m's need to be the same case) ! :smile:

9. Feb 5, 2005 #8
    Please forward me your request to my email address <ken@mv.ru>

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook