Can anyone suggest a good book or lecture on string theory

In summary, the conversation suggests various resources for learning about string theory, including books, videos, and lectures. Some recommended resources include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, the Nova series, and online lectures by Freddy Cachazo, Katrin Becker, and Melanie Becker. Suggestions for further reading include "The Trouble with Physics" and "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity" by Lee Smolin, as well as "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.
Lordznon
I am very bored and looking for entertainment such as a book or lecture having to do with string theory. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene is probably the most popular book on it. I would guess that it's fairly easy to read based on both its popularity and the clarity conveyed through the Nova series of the same name. I haven't read the book but I have the Nova dvd's, which I found clear and interesting. I guess the book is a little more technical and detailed.

http://www.stringwiki.org/wiki/String_Theory_Wiki
At undergrad level, Kiritsis or Zwiebach

One of my first encounter was Hatfield, it is also listed from the link above, and I liked it. It also covers some QFT.

I'll also recommend Brian Green's novels. I still remember the pop in my brain when I finaly managed to fully grasp relativety. He also paints a pretty clear picture about the what and what-nots of everything quantum, even if you find yourself backtracking.

As far as string theory goes, I really wish they would have called it string model because the patchwork of additions and suppositions leaves this theory hanging by a thread IMO.

Nevertheless I owe a lot to Dr. Green and would recommend his books to anyone interested in physics not just string theory!

Oh and forget the videos, it's like comparing tolkien/potter to their films releases: a lot of shine, but there is just no intimacy.

Grytviken said:
I owe a lot to Dr. Green
Then maybe you can spell his name next time ?

humanino said:

Haha, lmao-ness :biggrin:

http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=a063319

This is something I came across just two days ago, looks good but haven't watched them yet.

NB: There are three lectures, click the 2 & 3 beside "other occasions".

http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=a044402

This I believe goes hardcore into it, but I haven't checked it just read the description.

http://www.asti.ac.za/lectures.php

These lectures are very listenable. They get detailed but you can brush past the math if you listen via mp3 and still stay with the flow and learn some amazing things.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can read about strings and related/competing theories here:
THE TROUBLE WITH PHYSICS and THREE RAODS TO QUANTUM GRAVITRY, Lee Smolin

Briane Greene's THE FABRIC OF THE COSMOS...

These are often available used from Amazon online for example...

humanino said:

Shutterbugs...

There won't be a next time if I think I'm being trolled by such a stick in the mud!

J/K hehe, I drink a lot.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny vibrating strings.

2. Why is string theory important?

String theory is important because it aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature - gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It also has the potential to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics, which are currently two separate and incompatible theories.

3. Can you recommend a good book on string theory?

One highly recommended book on string theory is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It provides a comprehensive and accessible overview of the theory and its implications.

4. Are there any good lectures on string theory available online?

Yes, there are several excellent lectures on string theory available online. Some popular ones include Leonard Susskind's "The Theoretical Minimum" lectures and Brian Greene's TED talk "Making sense of string theory".

5. Is string theory a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a highly debated and unproven theory. While it has shown promise in explaining certain phenomena, it has yet to be tested and verified through experimentation. It is still considered a work in progress and subject to ongoing research and development.