1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone tell me what a burette does?

1. Dec 30, 2003 #1
    Can anyone tell me what a burette does and why it is better to use a burette than a measuring cylinder?
    Please help :smile:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2003 #2
    U reduce experimental error by using burette , burette adds the sample dropwise with proper graduated scale and these come calibrated
  4. Dec 30, 2003 #3
    In my chemistry lessons at school, we use the burette a lot in titration. It beats using the measuring cylinder because, as himanshu has said, it adds the sample dropwise. You can immediately see the volume of solution you have added whereas in the measuring cylinder you have to tilt the cylinder back and forth to be able to tell the amount of solution you have added. What I am really trying to say is that in addition to reducing errors, it is also more practical to use.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?