Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone think of any examples of curves which are smooth but not analytic?

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    I know there are some, but I can't think of any examples.

I asked my teacher after class but she couldn't think of any either.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Define your terms!

The Koch curve is an example of a continuous curve but it is nowhere differentiable.
  4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Defining terms is good!
    Here I hope there is not confunsion.
    I assume what was meant is
    Smooth: A function having derivatives of all orders in some region
    ie on (a,b) f(x) exist and f'(x) and f''(x) and so on
    Analytic: A function the equals its taylor expansion

The usual example given in introductory analysis texts of a smoth nonanalytic function is something like
    f(x)=0 x<=0
    f(x)=exp(-1/x) x>0
    The taylor expansion about 0 is 0, but the function is not identicaly zero.

The Joys of Calc. 1
  5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    Sadly, at my school, this is covered in Calc III
  6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    A curve, or space-curve, is smooth everywhere if r'(t) does not equal the 0 vector anywhere on r's domain, and if r'(t) exists everywhere on r's domain.

As far as I remember, an example of the curve r(t) = <t,t^2> is not smooth at t = 0, but as far as I can tell from below, this curve is, infact, smooth at t = 0 because r'(t) exists there and is not 0.

r'(t) = <1,2t>

When t = 0, r'(t) = <1,0>.

Can anyone clarify this for me.

If I reparameterize the curve as follows, r(t) = <t^2 , t^4>, then the curve would not be smooth at t = 0 for the following reason:

r'(t) = <2t, 4t^3>

when t = 0 r'(t) = <0,0>, so the curve r(t) = r(t) = <t^2 , t^4> is not smooth at t = 0.

it is, however, piece-wise smooth, as piece-wise smooth curves are curves that have a finite number of smooth pieces. We never really covered, in detail, the formal definition of what an "analytic" function is, and I am currently in calculus IV, although I know from my own independent studies as well as my current extracurricular involvement in mathematical research.

Any thoughts.

7. Oct 20, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If by "smooth" you mean infinitely differentiable, the simplest example is

[tex]f(x)= e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]
    if x is not 0, f(0)= 0.

It's easy to show that all derivatives of f are of the form
    ,where P(x) is a polynomial, for x not 0, 0 if x= 0 and so the nth derivative exists and is continuous for all n.

However, since the nth derivative of f at 0 is always 0, the Taylor's Polynomial about x= 0 is just the constant 0. That converges for all x, of course, but is not equal to f(x) for any x other than 0 so f is not analytic at x= 0.
  8. Oct 20, 2005 #7
    Thank you Halls.

By the way, what other definition is there of smooth?
  9. Oct 21, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have often seen "smooth" used to mean just differentiable. Often it is a matter of how "smooth" you want it- how many derivatives are necessary for whatever you are doing. I have even seen the phrase "If f(x) is sufficiently smooth..."!
  10. Oct 21, 2005 #9

All the texts I have seen have said that smooth means infinitely differentiable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?