Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyoneone recommend a good self-teaching/review Physics book

1. Jul 15, 2003 #1
    Can anyoneone recommend a good self-teaching/review Physics book. I've read reviews on several books such as Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher (Helix Book) and Feynman Lectures On Physics (3 Volume Set)
    who have generally revieved rave reviews. But as of late these particular books have been recieving mixed reviews by readers. I am looking for a book that clearly defines and explains concepts and equations... The reason that I am asking you all for your advice is mainly for the reason that I took Physics last school year in 11th grade and I would like to take the AP Physics exam in my senior year without taking an AP physics course. I am sort of looking for a book that is a mix between a physics textbook and the Princeton Review AP Physics review book.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2003 #2

E8

There's a thread just like this somewhere. If you take the time to look you'll be rewarded w/ plenty of good suggestions. I remember one poster came up w/ a free online textbook you can just download and print. I always recommend Paul G. Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, it comes in both high school(mostly concept based) and college versions (concepts and IMO plenty of math for a HS exam). It's not going to get you a PhD but it's really good if you're trying to teach yourself, very clear explanations IMO.

Another good one for concepts that I liked was Lewis Epstein's Thinking Physics which teaches the best way I know, by asking questions 1st. Why not just take the course? Good luck.

4. Jul 15, 2003 #3

E8

5. Jul 16, 2003 #4
    Feynman Lectures!

6. Jul 16, 2003 #5

pmb

Not for someone who wants to learn the subject. Those are good for those who already know physics since they are exceptionally hard to follow from an intro standpoint - even from an advanced standpoint sometimes.

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?