Can anyoneone recommend a good self-teaching/review Physics book

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good self-teaching/review Physics book. They mention several books they have read reviews on, including Six Easy Pieces and Feynman Lectures, but have found mixed reviews. They are looking for a book that clearly defines and explains concepts and equations, and is a mix between a physics textbook and an AP Physics review book. Other posters recommend books such as Paul G. Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and Lewis Epstein's Thinking Physics. The conversation concludes with a link to a helpful thread and a recommendation for Feynman Lectures, although it is noted that they may be difficult for beginners to follow.
JM2107
Can anyoneone recommend a good self-teaching/review Physics book. I've read reviews on several books such as Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher (Helix Book) and Feynman Lectures On Physics (3 Volume Set)
who have generally revieved rave reviews. But as of late these particular books have been receiving mixed reviews by readers. I am looking for a book that clearly defines and explains concepts and equations... The reason that I am asking you all for your advice is mainly for the reason that I took Physics last school year in 11th grade and I would like to take the AP Physics exam in my senior year without taking an AP physics course. I am sort of looking for a book that is a mix between a physics textbook and the Princeton Review AP Physics review book.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a thread just like this somewhere. If you take the time to look you'll be rewarded w/ plenty of good suggestions. I remember one poster came up w/ a free online textbook you can just download and print. I always recommend Paul G. Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, it comes in both high school(mostly concept based) and college versions (concepts and IMO plenty of math for a HS exam). It's not going to get you a PhD but it's really good if you're trying to teach yourself, very clear explanations IMO.

Another good one for concepts that I liked was Lewis Epstein's Thinking Physics which teaches the best way I know, by asking questions 1st. Why not just take the course? Good luck.

Feynman Lectures!

Originally posted by arcnets
Feynman Lectures!

Not for someone who wants to learn the subject. Those are good for those who already know physics since they are exceptionally hard to follow from an intro standpoint - even from an advanced standpoint sometimes.

Pete

1. What are the essential features to look for in a self-teaching/review Physics book?

Some essential features to look for in a self-teaching/review Physics book include clear and concise explanations, practice problems with step-by-step solutions, diagrams and illustrations, and real-world applications of concepts.

2. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of Physics before using a self-teaching/review book?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of Physics before using a self-teaching/review book. These books are designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject from the basics to advanced concepts.

3. Are there any recommended self-teaching/review Physics books for specific levels, such as high school or college?

Yes, there are many self-teaching/review Physics books available for different levels, including high school and college. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your current level of understanding and has the appropriate level of difficulty.

4. How can I determine if a self-teaching/review Physics book is reliable and accurate?

To determine the reliability and accuracy of a self-teaching/review Physics book, you can read reviews from other readers, check the author's credentials and experience in the field, and look for any references or citations to reputable sources.

5. Can self-teaching/review Physics books be used as a substitute for a traditional classroom setting?

Self-teaching/review Physics books can be a useful supplement to a traditional classroom setting, but they should not be used as a substitute. These books can provide a deeper understanding of the subject, but they do not offer the same level of interaction and feedback as a classroom setting.