Can anything be done to prevent pseudo-scientific scam ads

• Thread starter B0b-A
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation took place about advertisements for a company called Water Liberty, run by Kacper Postawski, that have been appearing on the Physics Forums website. It was mentioned that Kacper has had his business license revoked in Nevada and that the company is promoting a pseudo-scientific product. The forum owner has taken steps to block these ads and educate the public about such scams.
B0b-A
I noticed the http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CNl-KHyAPVOnEE4Kn7QbK-YDYD97k7JgF3ueQwIYBwI23ARABIKOl9wFQ7PuyjPz_____AWC7rseD2AqgAaLktNMDyAECqAMByAPBBKoEmgFP0GVwzyG5RSnS9afBfQ1udly0EbPYu5VJWaSOyUgCdLaG_8KS6CRPQmzOPzghbUzpnc0-N3JJ5RpQRe9RBVvaX7o3X7KoenZalwsQNR-j96elAwpw3w7R8CU_VRyP2XRgG6dCM6NSesSz7yy2u8RmSruGVdqTZSBplA2D5724ZPYe2UruZSeydGEkB98938OybKSw5qajOaYbiAYBoAYCgAfGm8ss&num=1&cid=5GjanuG23NW602u42MkvylLk&sig=AOD64_2TOz3iepRSCF4wD8zc4nrt1CHB8Q&client=ca-pub-6580726045122001&adurl=http://www.WaterLiberty.com/tracking/water-keywords/&nm=11&mb=2&bg=!A0SSYLS7gU3OdgIAAAC4UgAAAEIqAOZIhAVx-JSMkaBMpJ9UAz1UySuJ66QgH7j2hjsJxtmSkdUc5Wz6UY7qF7SxYiTLz8iBkEanakSCOz02Vw6JQYLfwnSDbcP9_ox6gEfS8_0_bOydmtlVkulYIRp5MG8Fe2anUsqVbD0VU_goklcM82peJnhEBOLghnDDFQab35Tzscl2u_SRR2xcsmVJZ1XRm-yts47Viz7twVlD2al1WWxRB1m-ypDLGeeVDnZpRdQN111EQ4Q_gBiIG0LWz-St9lfvzb7raaZSlDhXGOifDkGpKZ2blnVI-ojLd7d0coq2AjR02UKYtw , a company run by Kacper Postawski .
Kacper has been a naughty boy : ( how crooked do you have to be to have your license to practice business revoked in Nevada :¬).

Can anything be done to prevent adverts for pseudo-scientific scams appearing on Physics Forums ?

Attachments

• waterliberty-advert-on-physics-forum.png
    waterliberty-advert-on-physics-forum.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I can block them. Please let me know if you find any more shady ads. Thanks!

In a more general sense, educating the public so that they don't fall for pseudo-science, I won't be holding my breath.

My first post now has http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CQ0FjwDgPVLLDIcHz7QbcgoCoBZ6lrpsFvtSRwIYBjrb8n_8BEAEgo6X3AVCI8erSAWC7rseD2AqgAaLktNMDyAECqAMByAPBBKoEjwFP0KJCtPIIT1mN2JyB5GGARU5P280YJiqNoQ_XSbH_tTP6Ka85o8fIi4zdUTNDXw_AeAYuX8Kx3NqwTu0HpM6K1Yo3-5W2jTQi7kGqLwB_hPpIcWNfxto-W3NLsMTyUEJDLQ53F15aDnuqHztLSn_Ur5BhCVug9831zamV6Eun6CsKJMLErJMSE2dH9GdQc4gGAaAGAoAHxpvLLA&num=1&cid=5GjVoJghEZbvSnOkCcPoPi1L&sig=AOD64_3l-jS2VR1rWGXhYv9yyBhZGbXMDA&client=ca-pub-6580726045122001&adurl=http://www.WaterLiberty.com/tracking/rtg-order/&nm=2&mb=2&bg=!A0QnbTZeNf94NgIAAACzUgAAAEkqAObSHYp2lUi_u2HcQwm1b-nzqbnYadtYuCHLCYRCEXxcCfrDKuv1guhOkUdyowB9Y8kkuafEtoYnYVxivfKZbYfE1-7e294JOC6OrybdqxQjGU_bqqNdoJ6gKbO4YUa-7Swgz4ay4jU3YUBfW9oQI8U7tcohkOKYgxIwqXqZ0abLNA7yOSi5m1kECM3SA6vYTNW-jbJ5WZmECDsgS9pecrNPYXx-imCjaKb90Vxw5XQpv2SZO-KtcTWrsyGXAR7K_V5ymL6_thsee5Ic7tTZyG27AZme7cj_FtdGaVvIw2ZBRNLxJ-Uh_A next to it ...

Attachments

• my post now has ''WaterLiberty'' advertisment :¬).gif
    my post now has ''WaterLiberty'' advertisment :¬).gif
    69 KB · Views: 487
B0b-A said:
My first post now has a "Water Liberty" advertisment next to it ...

Score another one for the irony gods :smile:

Nugatory said:
Score another one for the irony gods :smile:
Allegedly their product will make your drinking-water less iron-y , aluminum-y, arsenic-y & mercury-y :smile:

Any ads from the website is now banned. It may take a couple hours to take effect.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Any ads from the website is now banned. It may take a couple hours to take effect.

Nicely done!

1. How prevalent are pseudo-scientific scam ads?

Pseudo-scientific scam ads are unfortunately quite common, especially in the age of social media and the internet. They can be found on various platforms, including websites, social media posts, and even in email spam. It is difficult to determine the exact prevalence, but it is safe to say that they are a growing problem.

2. Why do people fall for these scams?

People may fall for these scams due to a lack of scientific knowledge or critical thinking skills. Pseudo-scientific scam ads often use buzzwords and misleading claims to appeal to people's emotions and make them believe in the product or service being advertised. Additionally, the promise of a quick fix or solution to a problem can be tempting for many individuals.

3. How can we distinguish between legitimate and pseudo-scientific claims?

One way to distinguish between legitimate and pseudo-scientific claims is to look for evidence and scientific research to support the claims being made. Legitimate claims will have scientific studies and data to back them up, while pseudo-scientific claims often lack this evidence. Additionally, it is important to be wary of claims that seem too good to be true or use vague language.

4. What measures can be taken to prevent the spread of pseudo-scientific scam ads?

As a scientist, it is important to educate others about the importance of critical thinking and evaluating information. This can help prevent people from falling for these scams. It is also crucial for websites and social media platforms to monitor and remove these ads to prevent their spread. Governments and regulatory bodies can also play a role in enforcing laws and regulations to prevent the spread of these scams.

5. Can individuals take legal action against pseudo-scientific scams?

Yes, individuals can take legal action against pseudo-scientific scams if they have been victims of false advertising or fraud. However, it is important to gather evidence and consult with a lawyer before taking any legal action. It may also be beneficial to report the scam to relevant authorities to prevent others from falling for it.

Back