Can Matter Enter a Black Hole Intact? Debate & Advice

In summary, the conversation is about a debate regarding whether matter can enter a black hole and the location of the spaghettification effect. The person reading posts on a forum came to the understanding that spaghettification occurs outside the event horizon for small black holes but near the singularity for larger ones. It is mentioned that the radiation environment outside most black holes would fry a person. The expert explains that the spaghettification point moves further inside the horizon as the black hole gets larger. The person's friend argues that objects are attracted and pulled into the event horizon at or near the speed of light, but the expert clarifies that this is not the case and that the rest of their argument is nonsensical. In conclusion,
MikeeMiracle
TL;DR Summary
Can anything enter a black hole intact
I am having a debate with someone who appears knowledgeable about black holes from the language he is using but we have a disagreement about if matter can enter a black hole. He is trying to tell me the gravitational gradient near the event horizon is such that spaghetification occurs as you approach the event horizon. I am debating that the spaghetification effect occurs near the singularity itself, not the event horizon.

I came to this understanding from reading posts on this forum that spaghetification will occur outside the event horizon for small black hole but for larger black holes the gravitational gradient outside the event horizon is not so great and that it would be possible for a human to cross the event horizon intact and alive.

I may have misinterpreted what I have been reading on here but can anyone offer some advise as to which one of us was correct.

Thanks

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Tell your friend to stick to cooking spaghetti, as he knows nothing about physics!

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, berkeman, topsquark and 3 others
You are correct. You could search for the "ouch radius" at PF for some details.

Note that the radiation environment outside most black holes would fry you anyway...

Likes topsquark and russ_watters
MikeeMiracle said:
I am debating that the spaghetification effect occurs near the singularity itself, not the event horizon.
You are correct. For a small enough hole, "close enough to the singularity" for spaghettification turns out to be at or around the horizon; but as the hole gets larger the "spaghettification point" moves further and further inside the horizon.

A simple heuristic to see the behavior is that the spacetime curvature of a black hole, which has to get sufficiently large for things like spaghettification to occur, is proportional to ##M / r^3##, where ##M## is the mass of the hole. Since at the horizon, ##r = 2M##, the spacetime curvature at the horizon is proportional to ##M / (2M)^3 = 1 / 8 M^2##, i.e., it gets smaller as ##M## gets larger.

Likes topsquark
Your friend is wrong. For a sufficiently large black hole - not only would you be able to cross the event horizon without deleterious effects on your personage - but it is so abstract a surface that you would have trouble detecting that you had crossed it at all - you'd have to calculate the location of the event horizon (using mass and distance measurements) to conclude you were passing through it.

Likes topsquark
Thank you for the responses. He seemed to be obsessing over the escape velocity at the event horizon being the speed of light to which I was responding that just because the escape velocity is the speed of light that does not mean you need to travel at the speed of light to fall into a black hole which kicked off this debate. His response was:

"What I stated is that no positive mass density object can even reach a black hole. And what I further stated is that objects are attracted and/or pulled into the event horizon at or near the speed of light. And due to being drawn into a higher rate of acceleration, they disintegrate because there is a limit to what compounds can do to support their constituent structural integrity at a molecular and atomic level before they just fail. It is also called nuclear decay. So you are not trying to travel at the speed of light [which is impossible], you are being drawn into the gravitational current that is racing at the speed of light."

The above to me seems like he is not taking into account the IRF of the falling object and instead looking at the falling object as an observer to reach that conclusion.

As ever I am greatful to have this forum as a resource to cross check my understanding.

MikeeMiracle said:
What I stated is that no positive mass density object can even reach a black hole.
Wrong.
MikeeMiracle said:
And what I further stated is that objects are attracted and/or pulled into the event horizon at or near the speed of light.
No. In any local frame the event horizon passes through you at the speed of light. This does not give any meaning to the notion that you pass through the event horizon at the speed of light.

The rest seems to be nonsense.

Likes PeterDonis, PeroK and DaveC426913

1. Can matter enter a black hole without being destroyed?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. Some theories suggest that matter entering a black hole will be completely destroyed and broken down into its most basic particles. However, other theories propose that matter can enter a black hole intact, but it will be stretched and distorted beyond recognition.

2. What is the event horizon and how does it affect matter entering a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for matter entering a black hole. Once matter crosses the event horizon, it is impossible for it to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole. As the matter approaches the event horizon, it will experience extreme gravitational forces that will stretch and distort it.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea that matter can enter a black hole intact?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support this idea. However, some observations of matter around black holes have shown that it can be ejected in powerful jets, which suggests that it may have entered the black hole intact and then been expelled. Additionally, simulations and mathematical models also support the possibility of intact matter entering a black hole.

4. How does the size of a black hole affect the likelihood of matter entering intact?

The size of a black hole does not necessarily determine whether or not matter can enter it intact. However, the larger the black hole, the more powerful its gravitational pull, which means that matter entering it will experience stronger forces and be more likely to be destroyed. Smaller black holes may have weaker gravitational forces, potentially allowing some matter to enter intact.

5. What are some potential dangers of studying matter entering a black hole?

Studying matter entering a black hole is extremely difficult and dangerous. The intense gravitational forces and radiation near a black hole can be deadly for any spacecraft or instruments attempting to observe it. Additionally, the extreme conditions near a black hole make it difficult to accurately measure and understand the behavior of matter entering it, making it a challenging area of study for scientists.