Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Can asymptotic safety in quantum gravity be right?

1. Feb 2, 2017 #21
    I smell an Insights article in the making, "The idiots guide to understanding Schwinger's source theory, all the good stuff!". I look forward to such a post from you when when you understand Schwinger work to your satisfaction,
    though maybe it is not possible for idiots to understand?

Thanks for your help here at Physics Forums!

2. Feb 2, 2017 #22

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Yes, it would be suitable for idiots like yourself.
    :-D

3. Feb 3, 2017 #23
  4. Feb 3, 2017 #24

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

We can learn from any theory, even those that are wrong, cause eventually every scientific theory is wrong, you can ask Popper for clarification.

I'll be wary of theories that are not even wrong...
    More a religion than everything.

5. Feb 3, 2017 #25

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Unless you of course have a theory that predicts everything with 100% accuracy without any errors.

Do tell us of such a theory? How is it called nowadays?

A-B-C theory.
    :-D

6. Feb 3, 2017 #26

julian

Gold Member

What if you are right but computational methods aren't good enough to confirm the correctness? What if there is no computational algorithm that can reproduce reality? What does it mean to have 100% accuracy without exact experimentation results? What does it mean to have 100% accuracy with non-deterministic quantum theories?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. Feb 3, 2017 #27

julian

Gold Member

The dream of God?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. Feb 3, 2017 #28

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm. In my experience, even when I agree with physics aspects of one of his critiques, his critiques always include high volume ad hominem personal attacks, so as to be very unpleasant to read. It is only when he is not focused on critique that I can stand reading him.

9. Feb 4, 2017 #29

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

One side of me wishes it were possible, the other half reckons that if it were possible and will be achieved then that game of physics, of theorizing toy models and so on will be over.

I don't think this game will ever be over.(which is a good thing, I love this game).

10. Feb 4, 2017 #30
    I think there is a bit of room for "faith" in physics. Schwinger had a bit of faith that his path was the right one in regards to his source theory?

Happy hunting!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted