Can Atoms & Baryons Exist Inside a Black Hole?

In summary: Oops! In summary, inside a black hole, there is only one event horizon and the r coordinate represents a time coordinate. While there may not be stationary objects, atoms and their constituents can still interact as they are all falling together. Therefore, matter does not dissociate into isolated particles upon passing through the event horizon as it is still possible for interactions to occur.
harrylentil
In the way I naively imagine a black hole's interior there are event horizons all the way down, and any material object of whatever size will straddle many event horizons. So, with both atoms and baryons, there cannot be any interaction between their components. Consequently, at the moment of passage through the outermost event horizon of the black hole, matter will dissociate into isolated particles. I can see a problem with the idea of isolated quarks, but the QCD model of quark confinement does rely on interactions that seem to me banned in this place.

I reason like this: at any location inside the black hole a photon or gluon, or anything else, can only move in directions that take it closer to the singularity. Particles in an atom need to interact in all directions in order to behave as though they experience the kind of binding that results in a composite object. That rules out the existence of composite objects.

Physics news on Phys.org
harrylentil said:
In the way I naively imagine a black hole's interior there are event horizons all the way down, and any material object of whatever size will straddle many event horizons.
Then get rid of that imagination. There is only one event horizon. Your implication that the ##r## coordinate can only increase once you are inside the event horizon is correct. However, it should be noted that it does not mean what you probably think it means, the ##r## coordinate is a time-coordinate inside the event horizon.

harrylentil said:
So, with both atoms and baryons, there cannot be any interaction between their components.
This is not correct. There will be nothing stationary inside the black hole, but this does not prevent atoms and their constituents from interacting - they are all falling together! You do not stop them from interacting any more than particles going forward in time stops them from interacting.

harrylentil said:
Consequently, at the moment of passage through the outermost event horizon of the black hole, matter will dissociate into isolated particles.
This is therefore not correct.

Orodruin said:
the rrr coordinate can only increase once you are inside the event horizon

I think you mean "decrease".

Likes Klystron
PeterDonis said:
I think you mean "decrease".
Yup.

1. Can atoms and baryons exist inside a black hole?

No, it is highly unlikely that atoms and baryons can exist inside a black hole. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole causes matter to be compressed into a singularity, which is a point of infinite density and zero volume. At this point, the fundamental properties of atoms and baryons are no longer applicable.

2. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to current scientific understanding, nothing can escape from a black hole, including light. The gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it traps everything, including matter and electromagnetic radiation, within its event horizon.

3. How do we know that atoms and baryons cannot exist inside a black hole?

This understanding is based on the laws of physics, particularly Einstein's theory of general relativity. The equations of general relativity show that as matter approaches the singularity of a black hole, the curvature of space-time becomes infinite, making it impossible for atoms and baryons to exist in their usual state.

4. Can black holes destroy atoms and baryons?

Yes, the extreme gravitational pull of a black hole can tear apart atoms and baryons as they approach the singularity. This process is known as spaghettification, where the intense tidal forces stretch and elongate objects until they are torn apart.

5. Are there any exceptions where atoms and baryons can exist inside a black hole?

Some theories suggest that in the center of a supermassive black hole, there may be a region called the Planck core, where the laws of physics may be different. In this area, it is possible that atoms and baryons may exist, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and has not been confirmed.