Can black holes have planets?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Andya, that is not correct. There is no more "sucking power" from a black hole than from a star of the same mass.

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
a planet to orbit a black hole has to be formed with the black hole lucky enough to be outside the sucking radius of the black hole ! !! as if it come out from space towards the black hole it has a tremendous probability to get sucked in before it orbits or until we discover a method to spot it ! so i guess if planets do orbit a black hole , it might be a temporary one , as they would end up crashing the black hole after a while
I agree with Vanadium 50. Relativistic affects are only apparent at very close distances. If our sun suddenly turned into a black hole, Earth's orbit would remain the same. Earth would be uninhabitable because of the lack of light, rather than being "sucked in".
I do not know the exact distance where the relativistic affects are noticable. I would make a random guess of around a dozen times the Schwarzschild radius (but don't take my word for it).
Something would have to be very close for the affects to pull it inside the event horizon.
If a black hole and a star have the same mass, their gravity will be the same, if you were the same distance from their centers.
You'd probably have more luck randomly hitting a star instead of a black hole.
I would define the sucking radius as meaning the same thing as the Schwarzschild radius, which is usually only a few ten kilometers for solar mass black holes.

ya i am sorry i thought planets would end up crashing their star when it turns into a black hole ........ but i have a question , if the sun is to turn into a black hole , and say earth has no life in it , earth would seriously not be affected by the event of the sun collapsing ??