Do black holes have any translational motion?

In summary, black holes are theorized to have a spin or rotational component of motion, but not all black holes have spin. It is virtually impossible to find a black hole with no spin, but there are solutions that do not contain any angular momentum. The "black holes have no hair" theorem states that a black hole is completely characterized by its mass, angular momentum, and electric charge.
Antonio Lao
Can black holes translate ?

Black holes are theorized to have spin or rotational component of motion. But do black holes have a translational component of motion? Relatively speaking, black holes are more at rest than anything I know in the visible universe.

Physics news on Phys.org
My theory is that if a star stop moving, losing its translational motion, it is more likely to become a nova or supernova and then becoming a black hole.

Unlike spin, net translational motion is not an internal property of a system being considered. Keep in mind that each galaxy probably contains a supermassive black hole at its center, and galaxies can be in any number of states of relative motion.

zefram c said:
and galaxies can be in any number of states of relative motion.

Is this the reason why a galaxy can never explode but only its individual stellar component? What about quasars? Are they not exploding galaxies?

zefram_c said:
galaxies can be in any number of states of relative motion
I meant this to say that galaxies (and the black holes at their centers) are in motion relative to one another, i.e. if we would claim that the BH in our own galaxy is stationary, then BH's in the centers of other galaxies would naturally appear to us as moving. So yes, BH's can have translational motion, but it depends on the frame of reference you consider. As far as its angular momentum is concerned, however, everyone in inertial frames will agree on it.
Antonio Lao said:
Is this the reason why a galaxy can never explode but only its individual stellar component?
Galaxies are generally stable against (further) gravitational collapse; the matter that was close to the center collapsed in the BH and the stars in the rest of the galaxy orbit the center of the galaxy. The vast majority of these orbits are non-relativistic and Newtonian mechanics is sufficient to show that the orbits are stable.

Stars on the other hand are NOT inherently stable against the collapse. That's why stars form from collapsing hydrogen clouds in the first place. Here's a short list of why various stars are stable (ie what what mechanism acts against gravity)
Main sequence (like our sun): pressure of the photons emitted in nuclear reactions. In fact it takes 100 million years for a photon created at the core to escape through the surface!
Red giants / Supergiants: Other nuclear reactions from fusing elements heavier than hydrogen.
White / black dwarves: electron degeneracy pressure
Neutron stars: neutron degeneracy pressure

Antonio Lao said:
What about quasars? Are they not exploding galaxies?
I will have to refer you to someone more knowledgeable regarding quasars; my knowledge of the way they generate their energy is limited.

Last edited:
zefram c,

Thanks for all these information on cosmic activities.

Antonio Lao said:
Black holes are theorized to have spin or rotational component of motion. But do black holes have a translational component of motion? Relatively speaking, black holes are more at rest than anything I know in the visible universe.
Not all black wholes have spin.
those that do are generally expected to bulge around the centre.
We call a black hole a singularity because no laws of physics can explain what is going on inside and because we cannot directly observe them we cannot see what is going on.

jamie said:
Not all black wholes have spin.
those that do are generally expected to bulge around the centre.
We call a black hole a singularity because no laws of physics can explain what is going on inside and because we cannot directly observe them we cannot see what is going on.

Hi Jamie;

How do we know that all Blackholes do not spin? I just assumed they did. Can you please explain?

Thanks for any explanation.

Generally a star has some internal angular momentum, like spinning around its own axis. Even when the star collapses, this has to be conserved. After the collapse is complete, the core - whether it's now a white dwarf, neutron star or BH - usually retains at least some angular momentum. So in practice, it's virtually imposssible to find a BH with no spin whatsoever. But one can certainly write down a BH solution that does not contain any angular momentum. To make it easier for you to look this up, they're called as follows:
L=0, Q=0 : Schwarzschild black hole / spacetime geometry
L>0, Q=0 : Kerr black hole / spacetime geometry
L=0, |Q|>0 : Reissner-Nordström ...
L>0, |Q|>0 : Kerr-Newman ...
The "black holes have no hair" theorem states that a black hole is completely characterized by its values of M, L, and Q so this should be it. I don't know if that theorem is proved or not.

Last edited:

1. Can black holes move or change position?

Yes, black holes can move or change position through a process called "translation". This occurs when two or more black holes orbit each other and eventually merge, causing the resulting black hole to move in a different direction.

2. Is it possible for black holes to move faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This applies to black holes as well, so they cannot "translate" faster than the speed of light.

3. How do scientists track the movement of black holes?

Scientists track the movement of black holes by observing the effects they have on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the gravitational pull on nearby objects. They also use advanced telescopes and computer simulations to track the movement of black holes.

4. Can black holes "translate" in any direction?

Yes, black holes can "translate" in any direction, including up, down, left, right, and so on. Their direction of movement is determined by the forces acting upon them, such as the gravitational pull of other objects.

5. How does the translation of black holes affect their surroundings?

The translation of black holes can have a significant impact on their surroundings. When two black holes merge, they can release a huge amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves, which can disrupt the orbits of nearby objects and even create new stars and planets.