Can CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere sublimate into a solid?

In summary: But as atmospheric pressure decreases, the vapor pressure of CO2 increases and the gas can sublimate.In summary, CO2 becomes a solid at -78.5 C or -109.3 F. Liquid nitrogen is thought to be a component of noctilucent clouds. So that is one place in the atmosphere where you might find CO2 ice. Noctilucent Clouds form at an altitude of about 80 km from water ice. The temperatures can be very low, but the air pressure is also very low.
Jim Stoffaire
CO2 becomes a solid at -78.5 C or -109.3 F. The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was on Antarctica at -89.2 C or -128.6 F. So is it possible for CO2 to literally freeze out of Earth's atmosphere under certain conditions?
If not then why not?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Google is your friend. A simple search on 'co2 freezing temperature' tells you why not in the first link <link removed> shown !

Last edited by a moderator:
On the topic of CO2 changing forms and leaving the atmosphere, I think its good for newcomers to read this about the topic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonate–silicate_cycle

I am not calling you a newcomer, specifically. I'm posting this for readers who are interested in the ways CO2 changes forms. The carbonate-silicate cycle is important to understand when thinking of a topic like sublimation of CO2.

I'm glad that it doesn't sublimate near atmospheric temp, otherwise 60 gigatons of carbon would become gaseous again whenever the temps rose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle I'm also linking readers to the Wikipedia page on the Carbon Cycle. If you don't like Wikipedia, then you can read through the numerous well-regarded articles that these pages reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaw...sitive_feedback_and_runaway_greenhouse_effect

Likes Andrew John Davey and Evo
BvU said:
Google is your friend. A simple search on 'co2 freezing temperature' tells you why not in the first link <link removed> shown !
Unfortunately, that link is to an unacceptable source.

DrClaude said:
Unfortunately, that link is to an unacceptable source.
Beginner's mistake. Sorry about that. Also forgot to :welcome: Jim !

Remains that
Jim Stoffaire said:
CO2 becomes a solid at -78.5 C or -109.3 F.
if the CO2 vapour pressure is 1 atmosphere. With a partial pressure of around 0.0004 atm (0.3 mm Hg) that drops to about -137 C. (Exhaled air: 30 mm Hg, -110 C).

Likes DrClaude and Evo
Liquid nitrogen is thought to be a component of noctilucent clouds. So that is one place in the atmosphere where you might find CO2 ice.
https://www.universetoday.com/95957...as-seen-from-the-international-space-station/

Noctilucent Clouds form at an altitude of about 80 km from water ice. The temperatures can be very low, but the air pressure is also very low.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

Clouds of solid CO2 crystals have been observed in the Martian atmosphere. But there is very much less CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere. I would expect the minor presence of CO2 ice in noctilucent clouds would be masked by the water ice. Some CO2 might form in or on the surface of the water ice.

I remember seeing a paper on N2 and CO2 in upper atmosphere clouds above the poles in winter. I will try to find it.

Likes DrClaude, BvU and Evo
The coldest atmospheric temperatures are in the mesopause layer, and although they are colder than dry ice, the <1 ATM vapor pressure lowers the temperature necessary to produce sublimation, and more insurmountably, the CO2 atmospheric concentration is too low to form other than miniscule solid particles -- otherwise we would sometimes find dry ice in Antarctica.

A good salesman could sell dry ice in Antarctica to the gullible science types there.

Jim Stoffaire said:
CO2 becomes a solid at -78.5 C or -109.3 F. The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was on Antarctica at -89.2 C or -128.6 F. So is it possible for CO2 to literally freeze out of Earth's atmosphere under certain conditions?
If not then why not?
Atmospheric pressure is another factor. Under water at high pressures CO2 could solidify.

1. How does CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere sublimate into a solid?

CO2 sublimation occurs when the temperature and pressure conditions are right for it to transition directly from a gas to a solid. In Earth's atmosphere, this typically happens at very low temperatures and high altitudes, such as in polar regions or high in the mountains.

2. Can CO2 sublimation have an impact on climate change?

Yes, CO2 sublimation can contribute to climate change in a few ways. One is that it can release more CO2 into the atmosphere, which contributes to the greenhouse effect and traps more heat. Additionally, sublimation can also change the reflectivity of the Earth's surface, as snow and ice sublimate into gas, which can further increase temperatures.

3. What is dry ice and how is it related to CO2 sublimation?

Dry ice is the solid form of CO2. It is commonly used in refrigeration and as a cooling agent. It is created by pressurizing and cooling gaseous CO2 until it turns into a solid. This process is the reverse of sublimation, as dry ice will sublimate back into gas when exposed to normal atmospheric conditions.

4. Can CO2 sublimation occur on other planets?

Yes, CO2 sublimation can occur on other planets, particularly those with a thin atmosphere and extreme temperature variations. The most well-known example is Mars, where CO2 sublimation creates seasonal polar caps of dry ice.

5. Is CO2 sublimation a natural process?

Yes, CO2 sublimation is a natural process that has been occurring on Earth for millions of years. However, human activities such as burning fossil fuels have greatly increased the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, leading to more frequent and intense sublimation events.