Can Earth sustain much bigger object with an infinite weight?

In summary: So, does it mean that black hole gravitational field, tidal force and the acceleration at singularity are beyond infinity? Because even light can get sucks by this force.
Munyit
I know this question maybe a bit funny, others will call this post BS. But just assume if any object, having a size that ten times larger than Earth and having infinite weight, can the Earth resist such pressure? I recalled somewhere mentioned that Earth, theoretically, can support weight without limits.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To have infinite weight you'd need infinite mass. There is no such thing. If an object has enough mass in a small enough space (high enough density) the gravitational force will overtake the nuclear force, and you'd have a black hole, including the Earth.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
To have infinite weight you'd need infinite mass. There is no such thing. If an object has enough mass in a small enough space (high enough density) the gravitational force will overtake the nuclear force, and you'd have a black hole, including the Earth.

Just assume that there are very large object, for example a filament hundred times more larger and massive than earth, which have infinite weight going to wrap the Earth, what would happen? Can the Earth resist it? Because I heard Earth can support infinite weight.

Last edited:
Munyit said:
Just assume that there are very large object, for example a filament hundred times more larger and massive than earth, which have infinite weight going to wrap the Earth, what would happen? Can the Earth resist it? Because I heard Earth can support infinite weight.

Like the previous poster said, if it has infinite weight then it would have infinite mass and thus would collapse into a black hole, so no the Earth cannot support infinite weight.

Okay, now if a giant object, for example a single filament which is million times larger and heavier than Earth, going to wrap around Earth with full pressure, can the Earth sustain it? Note the giant filament don't have infinite size and weight, but having size and weight million times than Earth.

Munyit said:
Okay, now if a giant object, for example a single filament which is million times larger and heavier than Earth, going to wrap around Earth with full pressure, can the Earth sustain it? Note the giant filament don't have infinite size and weight, but having size and weight million times than Earth.

Such a dense filament would cut through the Earth and come to rest at the center.

Munyit said:
Because I heard Earth can support infinite weight.
You heard wrong. If a suitably dense mass was placed on the Earth's surface it could sing through the ground, the crust, into the mantle and all the way to the core.

ImaLooser said:
Such a dense filament would cut through the Earth and come to rest at the center.

If the filament diameter is smaller than Earth, then it will cut through the Earth. But a filament with a diameter million times the Earth size, plus weight million times heavier than Earth weight, are you sure it will crush Earth? I'm still thinking that Earth will resist it.

What I think is that, From the laws of gravitation, as long as the Earth has same angular velocity, it would stay at the same orbit, [compare the Earth's centripetal force and sun's gravitational force], since the angular momentum should be conserved, adding the infinity mass to the earth, the angular velocity of the Earth will change approaching zero... so as a result the Earth would have to move very far away from the sun... How's that guys...??

What would happen to you if you placed something millions of times more massive and larger than you, on you? How about something 1023 times more massive than you? You're actually doing this right now! You are on the Earth, but you could also look at it as if the Earth were on you. So, yes, you could sustain this.

Earth might not do as well. You and Earth hold your shapes for very different reasons. Placing Earth on a much more massive and larger object would be like placing a spherical raindrop on Earth. Upon contact it spreads out into a thin layer. Earth would likely do the same. It would become like a thin layer of paint on the surface of the massive object.

Hmm, you will reach infinite weight and mass if you are accelerating at the speed of light. But, black hole can sucks everything, that can generate a gravitational field that so strong even light can't escape from it because of the acceleration at the singularity. So, does it mean that black hole gravitational field ,tidal force and the acceleration at singularity are beyond infinity? Because even light can get sucks by this force.

Last edited:
Munyit said:
Hmm, you will reach infinite weight and mass if you are accelerating at the speed of light.

Physics to our understanding forbids massive objects from accelerating at the speed of light.
Munyit said:
But, black hole can sucks everything, that can generate a gravitational field that so strong even light can't escape from it because of the acceleration at the singularity.

Yes anything that goes too close to a black hole without sufficient momentum or acceleration in a direction that will cause it to not collide will fall into it. Yes light cannot escape from a black hole. If you are suggesting black holes have the gravitational well they do because they are accelerating at the speed of light that is not correct. Also singularities are not believed to be real physical objects.
Munyit said:
So, does it mean that black hole gravitational field ,tidal force and the acceleration at singularity are beyond infinity? Because even light can get sucks by this force.

What? I understand that your previous understanding and chain of logic is flawed but what part of your earlier logic leads you to conclude that 'black hole singularities have acceleration that exceed infinite due to light not being able to escape it' :S Remember that the speed of light is finite...

Munyit said:
If the filament diameter is smaller than Earth, then it will cut through the Earth. But a filament with a diameter million times the Earth size, plus weight million times heavier than Earth weight, are you sure it will crush Earth? I'm still thinking that Earth will resist it.

If the the diameter is a million times that of Earth and the weight is also a million times Earth then the density less than one millionth of that of the density of Earth. Such a filament would not even be noticeable.

What if the Earth were in the center of a huge planet a million times the diameter of Earth with a density at the surface the same as Earth? That would be much larger than the Sun.
I think the immense pressure would collapse the center into a black hole immediately.

tony873004 said:
What would happen to you if you placed something millions of times more massive and larger than you, on you? How about something 1023 times more massive than you? You're actually doing this right now! You are on the Earth, but you could also look at it as if the Earth were on you. So, yes, you could sustain this.

Earth might not do as well. You and Earth hold your shapes for very different reasons. Placing Earth on a much more massive and larger object would be like placing a spherical raindrop on Earth. Upon contact it spreads out into a thin layer. Earth would likely do the same. It would become like a thin layer of paint on the surface of the massive object.

Not really. The size and mass of the other object doesn't necessarily matter. What is important is the gravity at the surface of the other object. A minimum size black hole is only a few kilometers across ( I think ) but the Earth would be complete destroyed by it. A larger object with the same mass would be less dangerous. At the other extreme a gas cloud of the same mass as the black hole would have no effect at all.

What about placing the Earth on the surface of Jupiter? I think the Earth would crush into a hemispherical shape.

Those black hole thing's starting to fascinate me. What force in the universe that can destroy a black hole, even able to annihilate supermassive black holes?

There is nothing special about a black hole - until you approach the event horizon.

Munyit said:
Those black hole thing's starting to fascinate me. What force in the universe that can destroy a black hole, even able to annihilate supermassive black holes?

Unless there is a physics definition for the word destroy I am not aware of:
to reduce (an object) to useless fragments, a useless form, or remains, as by rending, burning, or dissolving; injure beyond repair or renewal; demolish; ruin; annihilate.
to put an end to; extinguish.
to kill; slay.
to render ineffective or useless; nullify; neutralize; invalidate.
to defeat completely.

Definition 3 is not applicable unless black holes really are 'monsters' and are conscious beings I suppose. :P

Definition 4 there is not one answer for, your question would need to be more specific as to what context you mean.

Definition 5 I'd change defeat to eliminate from existence.

The answer is Hawking Radiation. Or, in a less scientific wording the thing that can destroy a black hole is itself.

On a slightly more "realistic" note, what do you think would happen if you took the moon, and gently rested it on the Earth? Imagine neither are rotating and there is no sun, so the only force to worry about it their mutual gravitational pull. Are they massive enough to ensure mutual destruction and reformation into a larger planet? Or could they sustain some sort of potato shape?

I suppose they will destroy each other, since there do not seem to be potato shaped objects of the size of the Earth. But then maybe that is largely due to angular momentum considerations during formation?

kurros said:
On a slightly more "realistic" note, what do you think would happen if you took the moon, and gently rested it on the Earth? Imagine neither are rotating and there is no sun, so the only force to worry about it their mutual gravitational pull. Are they massive enough to ensure mutual destruction and reformation into a larger planet? Or could they sustain some sort of potato shape?

I suppose they will destroy each other, since there do not seem to be potato shaped objects of the size of the Earth. But then maybe that is largely due to angular momentum considerations during formation?

It is believed that the Earth captured the Moon in a collision. Both bodies melted. The Moon was scattered as a ring of blobs of various sizes that later coalesced.

A molten Moon. It must have been bright as the Sun. The current moon is as black as coal, it only seems to be reflective.

Godwin Kessy said:
What I think is that, From the laws of gravitation, as long as the Earth has same angular velocity, it would stay at the same orbit, [compare the Earth's centripetal force and sun's gravitational force], since the angular momentum should be conserved, adding the infinity mass to the earth, the angular velocity of the Earth will change approaching zero... so as a result the Earth would have to move very far away from the sun... How's that guys...??
Interesting to say the least.
If I may indulge? and if I understand your post... If one, anyone could sustain their weight while dispursing/spreading it over a larger suface area relative to the Earth. That person would move away from the Earths surface at any point on the globe? I'm abiously not a learned person in this regard. never the less indulge me.

kurros said:

The surface of both would fracture and the moon would begin to fall towards Earth, since the point of contact is very very small given the masses of the Moon and Earth. This would be very violent and would probably be on par with a very large asteroid impacting the Earth. Then, as the moon slowed, it would eventually form a large lump that gradually gets pulled down until the Earth finally reaches equilibrium millions of years later and is a Spheroid again.

I'd buy a ticket to that.

Munyit said:

It sounds like what you are trying to describe is essentially an enormous donut made of something that is much more massive per unit volume than the earth, with the hole being the size of the earth. What would happen would depend on the structural integrity and strength of the donut. If it was strong enough to keep itself from being pulled into an oblate spheroid, and was not so massive that it would gravitationally spread the Earth across the surface of the donut hole's perimeter, nothing would happen to the Earth because of the pressure exerted upon it, which would be almost nothing, but, it would try to gravitationally turn the Earth into something like a single-grooved pulley that fits perfectly inside the donut hole.

If you are talking about some hypothetical, unspecified 'object' that has only one characteristic, and that is to apply 1,000,000 psi equally upon the entire surface of the earth, the Earth would get a lot smaller. Fluids won't compress, but the gases trapped in the Earth will. Anything that can be squashed, would be squashed.

At least, I would expect this to be the results of either scenario, but, I could be dead wrong.

1. Can Earth's gravity sustain an object with infinite weight?

No, Earth's gravity is not strong enough to sustain an object with infinite weight. The weight of an object is directly proportional to its mass, and as an object's mass increases, so does its gravitational pull. However, at a certain point, the gravitational pull becomes too strong and would cause the object to collapse into a black hole.

2. What would happen if Earth had an object with infinite weight on it?

If Earth had an object with infinite weight on it, the entire planet would collapse under the immense gravitational force. The object's weight would cause the Earth's crust to break and the planet's core to implode, resulting in catastrophic destruction.

3. Is it possible for an object with infinite weight to exist?

No, it is not possible for an object to have infinite weight. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, and for an object to have infinite weight, it would have to have infinite mass. Since the mass of an object is limited by the amount of matter in the universe, an object with infinite weight is not feasible.

4. Can Earth sustain a significantly larger object with a finite weight?

Yes, Earth can sustain a larger object with a finite weight as long as the object's weight does not exceed the planet's gravitational pull. Objects with finite weight can still have a significant mass, but as long as they do not reach the point of infinite weight, the Earth can sustain them.

5. How would an object with infinite weight affect the Earth's orbit?

If an object with infinite weight were placed on Earth, it would cause the planet's orbit to change dramatically. The added weight would alter the Earth's center of mass, causing it to shift and potentially changing the Earth's distance from the sun and its rotation around its axis.