Is Negative Gravity Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of negative mass and energy existing and the potential effects of negative gravity. The concept of a white hole, a theoretical object that pushes things away from it, is also mentioned. However, there is currently no evidence for negative mass or energy, and the idea remains hypothetical. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the effects of high speeds on mass and the importance of providing references in discussions.
caters
Now, I know that it is theoretically possible for negative mass to exist and for negative energy to exist. But any gravity would act on all objects and all energy, no matter if that mass and energy is positive or negative. So negative gravity would for example, pull a person upwards. Now yes, I realize that there already is a force that comes from the interaction of 2 masses that pulls everything away from 1 mass and towards the other mass. That is the tidal force. As an example, if a miniature black hole were in the core of a moon and the moon was somehow stable, as the moon's orbit gets closer to the planet, the tidal forces would become so strong that it overcomes the planet's gravity and everything gets pulled towards the moon.

That is basically like gravity being negative except that it is normally extremely small. And it isn't a true gravity but rather the force that arises from 2 gravitational fields interacting.

A true negative gravity would require just 1 source of gravity to achieve the same effects as the tidal force, pulling everything away from a mass. Negative gravity would mean that launching into space would require no more energy than the gravitational potential energy of the spacecraft . Of course, if gravity were negative the spacecraft couldn't be formed in the first place and any astronomical object would immediately be blown apart if there were negative gravity but is it at least hypothetically possible to have gravity be negative? Could dark energy be this negative gravity acting on the entire universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
caters said:
Now, I know that it is theoretically possible for negative mass to exist and for negative energy to exist.
Reference, please.

Likes sophiecentaur
It really just depends on your reference point and how you look at it. On the other hand, if you have gravity going in the opposite direction it is supposed to, theoretically, you would just float up to space.

jbriggs444 said:
Reference, please.
And a small cup full too, if you could manage it. (Keep the lid on tight, though)

A white hole is a theoretical object that pushes things away from it. We haven't found any white holes or any objects with negative mass, so they might not exist.

Edit: A theoretical white hole still has positive mass and still appears to attract objects outside the white hole horizon, I think. But inside the horizon, everything is pushed to the outside.

I suppose you could also consider a theoretical negative mass object, but we haven't found any evidence for those.

Abdelhadi said:
I am a physicist and I don't even believe that mass increases as its speed approaches light speed:wink:
Well, I don't know. Right now, I AM moving at almost the speed of light (relative to a particle in the CERN accelerator) and I DO feel more massive. Of course, it could have been that heavy lunch I ate.

Likes weirdoguy
caters said:
I know that it is theoretically possible for negative mass to exist and for negative energy to exist.

Please give a reference, as you have already been asked to do. Since the thread is closed for moderation, please PM me with the reference. Once we have it, the moderators will evaluate it and see if it is acceptable as a basis for a PF thread discussion.

Khashishi said:
A theoretical white hole still has positive mass and still appears to attract objects outside the white hole horizon, I think.

This is correct.

Khashishi said:
But inside the horizon, everything is pushed to the outside.

This is not correct. Gravity is still attractive inside the white hole's horizon. But the horizon is moving inward at the speed of light, so even with attractive gravity, nothing can fall inward fast enough to catch the horizon, and things that are inside the horizon can't decelerate inward fast enough to stay inside it.

1. Can gravity have a negative value?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can have a negative value, also known as negative curvature. This means that space and time can be warped in a way that causes objects to move away from each other rather than towards each other.

2. What does a negative gravity value mean?

A negative gravity value means that the force of gravity is repulsive rather than attractive. This is only seen in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole or in the early stages of the universe's expansion.

3. Is negative gravity the same as anti-gravity?

No, negative gravity is not the same as anti-gravity. Anti-gravity refers to the hypothetical force that could repel objects from the Earth's surface, while negative gravity is a concept within the framework of general relativity.

4. Can negative gravity exist on Earth?

No, negative gravity is not observed on Earth as the conditions necessary for it to occur are not present. It is only seen in extreme circumstances, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields or in the early universe.

5. How is negative gravity being studied?

Negative gravity is a theoretical concept that is being studied through mathematical models and simulations, as well as observations of extreme environments in space. Scientists are also exploring the possibility of negative gravity as a potential explanation for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.