Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can grey hair be attractive?

Grey hair

Poll closed Feb 6, 2006.
  1. I am female and I have grey hair

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. I am male and I have grey hair

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I am female and think it attractive

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I am male and think it attractive

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Feb 2, 2006 #1

Mk

What do you think? Can grey hair be attractive? How many of you guys dye your hair?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2
    It beats being bald.

4. Feb 2, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I suppose I could put it to the test. :biggrin:

I have grey hair (it's more salt and pepper) and a grey beard, and probably in 15-20 years it will be white like my grandfathers' hair.

On a woman, I would expect to see grey hair at some point. For women, I don't think it necessary for them to color the hair. In fact, I know several elderly women, and I think they look attractive with grey hair, and as they age, I would imagine they still look fine and attractive with white hair.

Well, I tend to be a naturalist in those regards. I think most or all cosmetics and makeup are unnecessary. But then that's me.

5. Feb 2, 2006 #4
    I like silver hair!

6. Feb 2, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't understand the poll.

I am male and have grey hair - and I find it attractive - but on women. How shall I vote?

LeBard's got it: it WAY beats being bald.

Grey hair can look very attractive on men. Especially white at the temples.

White hair on a woman can also look very attractive, especially if there's lots of it.

7. Feb 2, 2006 #6

Evo

Grey hair on men is very attractive.

8. Feb 2, 2006 #7
    I got grey hair. o_O

9. Feb 2, 2006 #8

Mk

Ooops, the poll only lets you do one choice, I meant it to be a checkmark poll.

10. Feb 2, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm indifferent to gray hair. It doesn't matter to me if someone has begun to go gray or not on the attractiveness scale (though, most men my age have some degree of gray hair already, so it's not really an option). Gray hair does look better than dyed hair in my opinion...it looks so silly when you see some guy who is clearly in his 40s (or worse, in his 80s) with jet-black hair. Sorry, but it's not going to fool anyone. I find someone who is not vain about their gray hair to be attractive. :smile:

11. Feb 2, 2006 #10
    Ive got all the right hair in all the wrong places.

12. Feb 2, 2006 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've not even been working for 6 months and I've already found grey hairs. I've been going bald gradually for a couple of years now, but it's definitely visibly thin on top now. Anyway, I'm sexy, and I'm grey and bald (well, going that way), so it can't be too bad can it?

When was I supposed to have hit my physical peak? I'm worried I missed it!

13. Feb 2, 2006 #12
    You reach it when you go to the gym and workout hard for 6 months. :smile:

14. Feb 2, 2006 #13

Astronuc

:biggrin:
    Well, I'd even accept that. At least you're not repelled or offended. :biggrin:
    :rofl: Only thing worse is a bad hair peice. :rolleyes:

As for me, my hair what it is. WYSIWYG.

15. Feb 2, 2006 #14
    Astronuc, you would be a celebrity in the Middle East with that beard. Imam Astronuc, Rabbi Astronuc, its win win for you.

16. Feb 2, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Some have mentioned OBL. I have been greeted in Yiddish and Hebrew on the street. One gentlemen was offended when I didn't immediately respond. I did not know he was addressing me. I had to explain that I was not Jewish.

I have been served kosher meals on flights. :biggrin: People just assume. :rolleyes:
    Unless I get caught in a cross-fire. :rofl:

The avatar picture was taken in diffuse sunlight. My hair is actually darker and looks frosted with silver and grey.

I can't wait to travel abroad again. It will be easy to get out of the US, but may be hard to get back in. :rofl:

17. Feb 2, 2006 #16
    astronuc looks like on of my chemistry teachers. Mr Mathews.

Mk, what would posess you to ask this question? lol

18. Feb 2, 2006 #17

Astronuc

Maybe he's looking ahead. :rofl: I think Mk is way to young to be worried about grey hair.

The other thing is that this will likely be age dependent. A young person is more likely to be attracted to young people who likely do not have grey hair. An older, more mature person, will likely accept the fact that people of that age may have grey hair.

19. Feb 2, 2006 #18
    Ha.

Thats true.

Actually, at my school. Alot of people put grey streek's in their hair.

20. Feb 2, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have very dark hair, you'll noticed those first few gray hairs pretty quickly. Maybe he just discovered one and is starting to worry.

Yes, that's true. I remember how shocked I was the first time I met up with an old friend from high school who I hadn't seen since high school, and he had gone almost completely gray...I don't really notice it usually, but it was just that I still remembered how he looked in high school as my last memory of his appearance, so the sudden contrast really hit me that, yes, I'm at that age when my contemporaries are going gray...though, not me yet :biggrin: Or maybe I am, but with my hair color, you really can't tell at all if there are some gray hairs somewhere; I couldn't tell my aunt was going gray until she was well into her 60s, and we have very similar hair colors, but when I'm old and completely gray, I'm going to flaunt my long, silver locks! :approve:

21. Feb 3, 2006 #20
    I have a bit of a thing for older women and though I wouldn't likely date one that was obviously greying (too much of an age gap to have a real relationship most likely) I would probably still find her attractive.

My father was almost completely grey by the time he was 35. So far I haven't any noticable grey. I've been told by a girlfriend or two that they found one here or there. Either way I wouldn't mind it. If the curls at my temples started going grey I might start to have that Reed Richards/Dr Strange look going on. I could definitely live with that.:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?