Can I do drugs and still do well?

• Thread starter Bad_Boy_Blue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, Erdös was a brilliant mathematician who was addicted to amphetamines for most of his life. He claimed that the drugs helped him concentrate and think more clearly. However, the drug abuse ultimately led to his death at the age of 76.
I'm already on methadone (as I stated), but I don't think I can possibly be an inpatient at a drugs rehabilitation centre. This limits the kind of help I can get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bad_Boy_Blue said:
I have a bad feeling I'll be working in Mcdonalds next year and there's nothing I can do about it. Quitting drugs is easier said than done and I honestly don't believe that I have the will power. I'll will try though.

Yes, it is easier said than done, no doubt about that. That's why it's helpful to do it with the help of others. I hope you find you have more will power than you think you have. I'm glad to hear you are going to give it a try. If you can't get inpatient help, get outpatient assistance, or join a support group. Best wishes in your effort!

Using dirty needles = extreme stupidity ^ What you just said is rediculous IMO. I'm not blaming you, but I am blaming your education.

And what is exactly wrong with my education? You're the one who knows more about a worthless topic like drugs than engineering.

Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin,...

meteor said:
Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin,...
Belushi...

Belushi ... the fourth J ?

Gokul43201 said:
Belushi ... the fourth J ?
I'd never noticed that.

But Jim Morrison died of a heart attack, not drug induced, if I remember correctly.

True...that is what the coroner's report said.

Evo said:
But Jim Morrison died of a heart attack, not drug induced, if I remember correctly.
Elvis, on the other hand...

And while we're at it, how about Cobain (no, he wasn't the reincarnation of Lennon)? He comitted suicide due to drugs and depression. Sound familiar...?

gravenewworld said:
And what is exactly wrong with my education? You're the one who knows more about a worthless topic like drugs than engineering.

Take it easy. I was referring to your education that specifically relates to drugs. I never intended to imply that your overall education was inadequate.

Perhaps I should continue using drugs until I have a period of time in which I can withdraw from all the drugs I use without having to worry about my university grades at the same time? I doubt working will be easy while in agony (the whole point of my doing this is to attempt to improve my grades in the long term).

russ_watters said:
Elvis, on the other hand...

On the other hand ? I thought the same was true of Elvis...death from heart failure or some such thing.

Somehow these bigshot junkies get their coroners to write down heart failure for them ... lest their image be tarnished ?

And while we're at it, how about Cobain (no, he wasn't the reincarnation of Lennon)? He comitted suicide due to drugs and depression. Sound familiar...?

Now there's a couple of guys writing a book (or maybe it's already out) that suggests that there was something fishy involved in Cobain's death, and that the fish might be Courtney Love. They have testimony and recorded tapes from a private eye who was hired by Love, a week before Cobain's death. Also, the interesting thing is that Cobain's blood showed three times a lethal dose. The argument made by some medical pathologists who were consulted is that there's no way Cobain could inject himself that kind of dose, and then roll down his sleeve put away the syringe into his kit, pick up the shotgun (which had no prints on it) and shoot himself. The counter argument is that Cobain may have had a much higher resistance than most.

Gokul43201 said:
On the other hand ? I thought the same was true of Elvis...death from heart failure or some such thing.
Supposedly he died during a difficult bowel movement. I can't recall the exact details. The king died on the throne. Ok, that was REALLY bad. I've never verified if that was true.

Now there's a couple of guys writing a book (or maybe it's already out) that suggests that there was something fishy involved in Cobain's death, and that the fish might be Courtney Love. They have testimony and recorded tapes from a private eye who was hired by Love, a week before Cobain's death. Also, the interesting thing is that Cobain's blood showed three times a lethal dose. The argument made by some medical pathologists who were consulted is that there's no way Cobain could inject himself that kind of dose, and then roll down his sleeve put away the syringe into his kit, pick up the shotgun (which had no prints on it) and shoot himself. The counter argument is that Cobain may have had a much higher resistance than most.
I've heard the tapes. I think she's guilty. The suicide note also appears to be in two different handwriting styles. The first part which is in Cobain's writing is just a depressed note, the bottom where he says he's commiting suicide doesn't appear to be his writing. Again, he supposedly lethally overdosed, THEN finished the suicide note, which is why the writing looks different. He sure did a lot of things after he OD'd.

Evo said:
The king died on the throne.
This I knew.

Supposedly he died during a difficult bowel movement.
This I didn't. Is it only"during" or also "of" ?

I've always thought the original report claimed a heart failure, or something similar. :confused:

I read/heard something about three or four years ago about plans to exhume the body and attempt another autopsy. I don't know if they managed to get that through the courts.

Last edited:
Things they don't tell kids. Straining at stool is the proximate cause of heart attacks in a lot of cases. Constipation plus arteriosclerosis is dangerous. Eat your fiber when you get old!

Gokul43201 said:
This I didn't. Is it only"during" or also "of" ?
Not sure.

I've always thought the original report claimed a heart failure, or something similar. :confused:
He probably suffered heart failure from the strain.

The King lives on in my daughter's hamster, Bootay. See the attached picture she drew.

Last edited:
Pardon for my morbidity, but here's a quite long list of notable people that have died by drug-related problems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_drug-related_deaths
Surprisingly, Judy Garland is in it, also the terrific Bela Lugosi, and who can ever forget Il Elefantino Marco Pantani?

PS: morphine had grave effects in Lugosi's mind, it seems: "Bela Lugosi was buried in his full Dracula costume, as per the request in his will"

Last edited:
Evo said:
Supposedly he died during a difficult bowel movement.
This nearly happened to me once, but it was unavoidable because my diet was restricted to low fiber food.