Can I do Engineering and Physics? How?

In summary, it is possible to study both Engineering and Physics concurrently through dual degree programs or by majoring in one subject and minoring in the other. While it may be challenging, with dedication and time management, it is achievable. Studying both fields can provide a well-rounded education and open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, renewable energy, and research and development. To prepare, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science subjects and familiarize yourself with engineering and physics principles.
baouba
Hi I have a real problem and a lot of questions. Here goes...

Can I do Engineering and Physics?

I already know there is engineering physics (or applied physics) but I here it's somewhere in between. Here are the fields I am interested in: Theoretical physics, engineering physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering.

I hear that EP involves both ME and EE. Is this true? or is it just minimal and not in depth?

If I get a degree in engineering physics will I have the job opportunities as a ME or EE will have? People tell me that I can be an aerospace engineer with an EP degree or a ME degree.

My main goal is to go on and get my doctorate in physics. Could I get a degree in engineering and then go on to do physics? I have also heard that it's easier to switch from physics to engineering because you're already familiar with most of the math and concepts. Again, is this true? What about switching from engineering into physics?

How would I go about this? Should I go to school for engineering, do the first introductory year, declare my major (EP, ME, EE), and after three more years go on to do a Ph.D. and/or masters? Even though it's easier to go from physics to engineering?

Speaking of that, how can you skip your masters and go onto your Ph.D.?

Also, What are some good schools for this? I was thinking about the EngSci program at U of T considering it really teaches you about every field (I live around Toronto)

Is there anybody who has done this? anybody who has gone into both physics and engineering?

Thank you so much everybody!

P.S. for what it's worth, I'm a grade 11 student doing AP physics and calc next year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to pursue Engineering and Physics simultaneously. Engineering Physics (EP) is an interdisciplinary program that combines elements from both physics and engineering. It usually involves a combination of Mechanical Engineering (ME) and Electrical Engineering (EE). EP degree holders can have the same job opportunities as ME or EE degree holders; graduates can typically pursue careers in aerospace engineering, nuclear engineering, and other related fields. It is possible to switch from engineering to physics, but it may be more difficult than going from physics to engineering since you will need to learn many of the concepts and mathematics associated with physics. You could start by getting a degree in engineering and then doing a Ph.D. and/or Masters in Physics. If you wish to skip a Masters and go straight for a Ph.D., this is possible in some cases, depending on the university and the program. The University of Toronto has a renowned Engineering Science (EngSci) Program which covers a wide range of topics in engineering and physics, making it an ideal choice for those interested in pursuing both fields. However, there are plenty of other universities with excellent programs in both engineering and physics. There are many people who have gone into both engineering and physics, and it is possible to find success in either field, depending on your interests and dedication. Good luck!

1. Can I do Engineering and Physics at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to study both Engineering and Physics simultaneously. Many universities offer dual degree programs where students can earn a Bachelor's degree in both fields. It may also be possible to major in one subject and minor in the other.

2. Is it difficult to study Engineering and Physics together?

Studying Engineering and Physics together can be challenging, as both fields require a strong foundation in math and science. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable. Time management and seeking help from professors and tutors can also make it easier.

3. What are the benefits of studying Engineering and Physics together?

Studying both Engineering and Physics can provide a well-rounded education and a diverse skill set. Engineers who have a deep understanding of Physics principles can design more efficient and innovative solutions. Similarly, knowledge of Engineering principles can help physicists apply their theories to real-world problems.

4. What career opportunities are available for those who study Engineering and Physics?

A dual degree in Engineering and Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Graduates can pursue careers in fields such as aerospace, renewable energy, materials science, research and development, and more. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue a higher degree in either field.

5. How can I prepare for studying Engineering and Physics?

To prepare for studying Engineering and Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science subjects such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. You can also start familiarizing yourself with engineering and physics principles by reading books, watching videos or attending workshops related to these fields.