Can I do this in Mathematica?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using Mathematica to find the inverse Laplace transform of a given Laplace function. The speaker believes that Mathematica may not be able to solve the problem, and suggests finding an approximation. The conversation ends with the conclusion that a closed form expression for the inverse Laplace transform is not known and manual calculation may be necessary.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I have the following Laplace function:

[tex]\frac{\left[2\sqrt{a\,s}K_1\left(2\sqrt{a\,s}\right)\right]^N}{s}[/tex]

where N and a are constants and K1 is the modified Bessel function of the second kind and order 1. I need to find the inverse Laplace transform at a specific value. Can I do that in Mathematica?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not believe so.

It seems that it cannot even do this simpler problem

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=InverseLaplaceTransform[BesselY[1,Sqrt[s]]/Sqrt[s],s,t]

It can't even do this

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=InverseLaplaceTransform[BesselY[1,s]/s,s,t]

Check this carefully before depending on it

If I have not made a mistake and
if Mathematica cannot do this and
if you can convincingly demonstrate that there is a solution that is valid over a significant domain
then we can try to coax them to incorporating that into a future release,
but I would urge you to not hold your breath waiting for this.

Is there any chance that you can find an acceptable approximation to your function which does have an Inverse Laplace?

Last edited:
Bill Simpson said:
I do not believe so.

It seems that it cannot even do this simpler problem

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=InverseLaplaceTransform[BesselY[1,Sqrt[s]]/Sqrt[s],s,t]

It can't even do this

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=InverseLaplaceTransform[BesselY[1,s]/s,s,t]

Check this carefully before depending on it

If I have not made a mistake and
if Mathematica cannot do this and
if you can convincingly demonstrate that there is a solution that is valid over a significant domain
then we can try to coax them to incorporating that into a future release,
but I would urge you to not hold your breath waiting for this.

Is there any chance that you can find an acceptable approximation to your function which does have an Inverse Laplace?

This is the problem, there is no closed form expression known for this. I thought Mathematica would do the numerical inverse Laplace transform. I think I need to do that manually now. Thanks

1. Can I import and manipulate my own data in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful data import and manipulation capabilities. You can import data from a variety of file formats, including CSV, Excel, and plain text files. Once imported, you can use Mathematica's built-in functions to manipulate and analyze your data.

2. Can I create professional-looking plots and visualizations in Mathematica?

Absolutely. Mathematica has a wide range of built-in plotting and visualization functions that can create high-quality, customizable charts, graphs, and diagrams. You can also use the built-in styling and formatting options to create professional-looking visualizations for your data.

3. Can I use Mathematica for symbolic and numerical calculations?

Yes, Mathematica is designed for both symbolic and numerical computations. It has advanced capabilities for manipulating and solving algebraic equations and functions, as well as built-in numerical functions for performing calculations on data.

4. Is it possible to program in Mathematica?

Absolutely. Mathematica has a powerful programming language called Wolfram Language, which allows you to write and execute programs within the Mathematica environment. You can also use the built-in Wolfram Language functions to create custom functions and algorithms.

5. Can I use Mathematica for machine learning and artificial intelligence?

Yes, Mathematica has a wide range of built-in functions and algorithms for machine learning and artificial intelligence. You can use these functions to train and test models, perform data analysis, and make predictions and classifications based on your data.