What is the Integral of (sqrt(x) + 1/sqrt(x))^2?

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses integrating a function involving the square root of x and its reciprocal, and simplifying the resulting expression. The final answer is confirmed to be correct with some minor technicalities mentioned, including the need for a "+ C" term in the final solution.
rocomath
[SOLVED] Can I do this? (integral)

[tex]\int(\sqrt{x}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}})^2dx[/tex] sum of a product ... simplify

[tex]\int(x+2+\frac{1}{x})dx[/tex] integrating ...

[tex]\frac{1}{2}x^2+2x+\ln{x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me.

Looks ok to me.

damn i love math :-] idk why i didn't think about doing it earlier.

Just some technicalities, [itex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = ln |x| [/itex]. and [itex]\sqrt{x}^2=|x|[/itex] don't think it affects anything really but if x was to be an odd power in the final answer I think it would need to be given as a parametric equation.

And you certainly should have "+ C"!

1. Can I do an integral without knowing calculus?

No, integrals are a fundamental concept in calculus and require a strong understanding of the subject to solve them accurately.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, most calculators have integral functions that can solve simple integrals. However, for more complex integrals, it is better to use calculus techniques.

3. Can I solve an integral by hand?

Yes, it is possible to solve integrals by hand using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. However, it can be time-consuming and challenging for more complex integrals.

4. Can I use integrals in real-life situations?

Yes, integrals are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating areas and volumes, determining the work done by a force, and finding the average value of a function.

5. Can I learn how to do integrals on my own?

Yes, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn how to do integrals. Many online resources and textbooks are available to help you learn the necessary techniques and concepts.