Can i extend my undergraduate years to get a double degree?

In summary, it is possible to extend your undergraduate years in order to obtain a double degree, but this will depend on your institution's policies. The number of extra years needed will vary and there may be certain requirements that need to be met, such as maintaining a certain GPA or obtaining approval from your academic advisor. Extending your undergraduate years may also have an impact on your financial aid, so it is important to consult with your institution's financial aid office. It may also be possible to switch majors or add a second major while extending your undergraduate years, but this will depend on your institution's policies and the compatibility of the majors. It is best to discuss your options with your academic advisor.
kntsy
My country is 3 year undergraduate system. I think i am not able to get a double degree in math and physics in 3 years. The credits are not enough though i took 6-7 courses per semester. Normal workload is 5 courses per semester and i think a QM should be much more time-wasting than other subject's courses. However, i do not want to graduate with a mathematical physics degree; i want a double.
My professor said my university is public university and the tuition fee is cheap so i CANNOT stay for an extra year for any personal purpose. Are there any alternative methods which can break the university policies and extend my undergrad years to 4 years(Intentionally not take core courses so that i cannot graduate?/Pretending i am sick?)
My health is deterioring because of the extreme workload;actually i am quite worried about my kidney health.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your desire to obtain a double degree in math and physics in your country's 3 year undergraduate system. It can be challenging to fit all the necessary courses and credits into a shorter time frame, especially when some subjects require more time and effort.

However, I must caution against trying to break university policies or pretending to be sick in order to extend your undergraduate years. Not only is this unethical, it could also have serious consequences for your academic standing and future career opportunities.

Instead, I would suggest exploring alternative options with your professor or academic advisor. Perhaps there are summer courses or online courses available that could help you fulfill the necessary credits for a double degree. You could also consider taking a lighter course load in some semesters to give yourself more time to focus on your math and physics courses.

Additionally, it is important to prioritize your health and well-being. If you are feeling overwhelmed and your health is deteriorating, I strongly urge you to speak with a healthcare professional and your university's counseling services. They can provide support and guidance on managing your workload and finding a balance between your academic and personal life.

In conclusion, while it may be challenging, there are alternative methods and resources available to help you achieve your goal of obtaining a double degree in math and physics. I encourage you to reach out to your university for support and to prioritize your health and well-being during this time.

1. Can I extend my undergraduate years to get a double degree?

Yes, it is possible to extend your undergraduate years in order to obtain a double degree. However, this will depend on your institution's policies and whether or not they offer the option to extend your studies.

2. How many extra years will it take to get a double degree?

The number of extra years it will take to get a double degree will vary depending on the specific program and courses you need to complete. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the specific timeline for your situation.

3. Do I need to meet certain requirements to extend my undergraduate years for a double degree?

Yes, there may be certain requirements that you need to meet in order to extend your undergraduate years for a double degree. These requirements may include maintaining a certain GPA, completing specific courses, or obtaining approval from your academic advisor.

4. Will extending my undergraduate years for a double degree affect my financial aid?

Extending your undergraduate years for a double degree may have an impact on your financial aid. It is important to consult with your institution's financial aid office to understand how this decision may affect your financial aid package.

5. Can I switch my major or add a second major while extending my undergraduate years for a double degree?

It may be possible to switch your major or add a second major while extending your undergraduate years for a double degree. However, this will depend on your institution's policies and whether or not the majors are compatible. It is best to discuss your options with your academic advisor to determine the feasibility of this decision.