Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I Get a Book Recommendation?

1. May 3, 2005 #1
    Hi. Could anyone provide me with any recommendations for a good book to study materials science. I need something introductory for a first year mechanical engineering student. A somewhat easy to understand book with some problems to solve is what I am looking for. I am hoping to avoid paying big bucks for a full university textbook. If the book can be found in a bookstore for less I would be happy. Or even if its something I might be able to find in a public library would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2
    Try Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering by Castellan. I used it as a undergrad and its a very good book.

4. May 11, 2005 #3
    Thank you Modey, I will check and see if I can find that book.

I came across another book which is on hold for me in my local library.

Introduction to materials science for engineers
    by Shackelford, James F.
    Prentice Hall,

I want to ask if anyone here on PF has used this text before and if it generally covers what an undergrad studies in Mech. Eng.? The 2005 edition is also available in my library but only to use within the library and cannot be taken home.
  5. May 12, 2005 #4
    I have one called Material Science and Engineering by W.D Callister. Its a good book IMO. Ive used it in the first couple of years of my degree.
  6. May 28, 2005 #5
    Mech eng courses vary in both the topics and the depth to which they cover materials science, so what's good for one programme might be inappropriate for another. The best thing would be for the student to ask his/her lecturer to recommend half a dozen texts and then let the student browse these to find one that he/she finds most useful. If they're not in the local bookshop or college library then amazon might at least show the contents pages.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?