Can I get help with a car speed question? (to fight a traffic ticket)

• Thread starter LaureeF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, the conversation revolves around determining how much a car would slow down going up a 30 degree incline while traveling at 60 mph. The participants discuss using gravity and right angled triangles to calculate the deceleration and final velocity, as well as the possibility of damage to the car and driver. The conversation also includes a discussion about a traffic ticket and the acceleration capabilities of a Toyota Matrix. Ultimately, it is concluded that while it is possible for the car to reach 68 mph in 200 yards, it would require flooring it for the entire time and may not be achievable for the Matrix model.
LaureeF
Can anyone tell me how much the speed of a car going 60 mph would slow down going up a 30 degrees incline?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how much force was driving the car doesn't it... :)

Do you mean how much the car could decelerate? If you take gravity and use some right angled triangles you can work that out simply enough. If you mean other things then you don't have enough information. How much a car would slow down to me could be deceleration or final velocity after some distance.

Having driven up the worlds steepest street myself (19 degrees)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street

I can safely say that transitioning to a 30 deg slope at 60 mph would be quite violent and likely result in damage to both yourself and your car, you may want to borrow a friends car and hire a stunt man, good luck :wink:

billy_joule said:

yup it's a steep one :wink:
That's my ol' home town:smile:and to the OP ... yes, agreed, way too little information so far from you

Likes billy_joule
smileandbehappy said:
It depends on how much force was driving the car doesn't it... :)

Do you mean how much the car could decelerate? If you take gravity and use some right angled triangles you can work that out simply enough. If you mean other things then you don't have enough information. How much a car would slow down to me could be deceleration or final velocity after some distance.
Thank you for responding. The truth is I need the information to fight a traffic ticket. The car was completely stopped. Then with normal acceleration it traveled 200 yards up a 30 degree incline. At the 200 yard mark a policeman said I was doing 67 mph. Aside from absolutely knowing that the top speed I reached was 53 mph, I am trying to prove that my car could not have reached 67 mph starting from zero in 200 yards going uphill at a 30 degree angle. It's not like it is a sports car. It's a Toyota Matrix - not exactly a speedy car. And I'm 68 years old. I'm almost never in a hurry anymore. Lauree

I think you need to remeasure some things - in particular the 30 degree angle. 200 yards at 30 degrees means you would be thirty stories up at the end.

Likes Jon Richfield and billy_joule
billy_joule said:

I can safely say that transitioning to a 30 deg slope at 60 mph would be quite violent and likely result in damage to both yourself and your car, you may want to borrow a friends car and hire a stunt man, good luck :wink:
You're right! It's only 3 degress, not 30 degrees. Little mistake (lol). Thanks.

I still think you need to remeasure things. 0-53 in 200 feet implies a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. While there are vehicles that can do that, the Toyota Matrix is not one of them.

Vanadium 50 said:
I still think you need to remeasure things. 0-53 in 200 feet implies a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. While there are vehicles that can do that, the Toyota Matrix is not one of them.

To be fair, the quoted distance was 200 yards, not feet. Taking the police officer's figure, 0-68mph in 200 yards is 0-60 in 10.9 seconds (and 0-68 in 12.2 seconds), which is an easily attainable figure in a large proportion of modern cars (though it would actually need to be faster than this, since I assumed linear acceleration).

Adding the slope into account, a quick and dirty calculation I just ran indicates that the hill would soak up about 15 horsepower or so on average during such an acceleration run. Honestly, these numbers are making it look like it would be possible for a lot of cars to achieve this performance, though it would involve accelerating fairly briskly (possibly pretty close to floored, for a lot of normal commuter cars).

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
It's 200 yards, not feet.

Even that is pushing it. That would require your foot to be on the floor for the whole time.

cjl said:
To be fair, the quoted distance was 200 yards, not feet. Taking the police officer's figure, 0-68mph in 200 yards is 0-60 in 10.9 seconds (and 0-68 in 12.2 seconds), which is an easily attainable figure in a large proportion of modern cars (though it would actually need to be faster than this, since I assumed linear acceleration).

Adding the slope into account, a quick and dirty calculation I just ran indicates that the hill would soak up about 15 horsepower or so on average during such an acceleration run. Honestly, these numbers are making it look like it would be possible for a lot of cars to achieve this performance, though it would involve accelerating fairly briskly (possibly pretty close to floored, for a lot of normal commuter cars).
Thank you. You've been a big help. I appreciate it.

I did goof with feet, but even with yards, it involves flooring it. Apologies for switching to metric: 53mph means 280 J/kg from kinetic energy. A 3 degree hill means a rise of 9.6 m, or 95 J/kg from potential energy (a 33% "tax", if you will). That means, on an equivalent flat surface, the car would go sqrt(4/3) faster, or 61 mph at the end of the 200 yards. That's a 0-60 time of 13.1 seconds.

Edmunds says 11 seconds. While this is possible, it requires a foot pretty much on the floor. That's inconsistent with the "normal acceleration" description. Which is why I think remeasuring is in order.

Vanadium 50 said:
I did goof with feet, but even with yards, it involves flooring it. Apologies for switching to metric: 53mph means 280 J/kg from kinetic energy. A 3 degree hill means a rise of 9.6 m, or 95 J/kg from potential energy (a 33% "tax", if you will). That means, on an equivalent flat surface, the car would go sqrt(4/3) faster, or 61 mph at the end of the 200 yards. That's a 0-60 time of 13.1 seconds.

Edmunds says 11 seconds. While this is possible, it requires a foot pretty much on the floor. That's inconsistent with the "normal acceleration" description. Which is why I think remeasuring is in order.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. It is truly appreciated.

Vanadium 50 said:

Thank you so much for your help. It was very kind of you.

Now that I think about it, I think you have given us enough information to refute your position. (Sorry, but that's how it works out). You want to show that with normal acceleration, you got to 53 mph, but that the car mechanically could not reach 68 mph in the same stretch. Is that right?

The key is "normal acceleration". My car can provide 200hp, but under normal acceleration, it's 100 hp or even less. If you can reach 53 with normal acceleration, you can probably reach 68 by flooring it.

Likes billy_joule
Vanadium 50 said:
Now that I think about it, I think you have given us enough information to refute your position. (Sorry, but that's how it works out). You want to show that with normal acceleration, you got to 53 mph, but that the car mechanically could not reach 68 mph in the same stretch. Is that right?

The key is "normal acceleration". My car can provide 200hp, but under normal acceleration, it's 100 hp or even less. If you can reach 53 with normal acceleration, you can probably reach 68 by flooring it.

Yes, and unfortunately, if the car is physically capable of reaching 68mph in that distance, you can't refute the officer's claim, unless you have a way to conclusively prove that you weren't flooring the accelerator.

Likes 1Cam3
Was your sat nav on?

If free wheeling and no friction, would decelerate at 16 ft/sec^2.
Time to decelerate totally = 88 ft/sec/(16 ft/sec^2) = 5.5 sec
Distance = 8 x 5.5^2 = 152.25 ft

A pretty rapid slowdown

stevmg said:
If free wheeling and no friction, would decelerate at 16 ft/sec^2.
Time to decelerate totally = 88 ft/sec/(16 ft/sec^2) = 5.5 sec
Distance = 8 x 5.5^2 = 152.25 ft

A pretty rapid slowdown
That's half a gee of acceleration, which seems very wrong. How did you calculate this value?

I doubt flooring the gas would be required.

I did some Googling as they don't sell the Matrix where I am, so I'd never heard of it. It's a hot hatch / sports subcompact. The smallest engine model I can find is a 1.8L with 10 seconds for 0-60 mph. The other version has a 2.4L.

Carno Raar said:
I doubt flooring the gas would be required.

I did some Googling as they don't sell the Matrix where I am, so I'd never heard of it. It's a hot hatch / sports subcompact.

I generally wouldn't call something a "hot hatch" or "sports subcompact" unless it's actually sporty. The matrix is definitely a small hatchback, but with 158 horsepower in the most powerful trim, and either 205 or 215 wide tires (depending on trim), I'd hardly consider it sporty. In addition, a small incline can make a large difference in the acceleration of a low-horsepower car, so even with the larger motor, I'd expect ~10 seconds 0-60 to be pretty much flooring the accelerator given the hill.

I don't see how you can't consider it sporty. For its age and size it has a very large engine (1.8L - 2.4L). What did a Ford Focus have in 2003? 1.6L to 2.0L on a larger car.

Carno Raar said:
I don't see how you can't consider it sporty. For its age and size it has a very large engine (1.8L - 2.4L). What did a Ford Focus have in 2003? 1.6L to 2.0L on a larger car.

In the US, 2L or so is quite small on pretty much any class of car, and 130-150hp is low to average. Neither its power nor its engine size is particularly remarkable here. Also, I wouldn't consider a Focus to be a larger car - the curb weight of a Focus from the same time frame was actually slightly lower than the curb weight of the Matrix, and the Focus has just as much horsepower. In addition, the Focus isn't a hot hatch either, unless you look at the RS or ST versions.

1. Can I use scientific evidence to fight a traffic ticket for car speed?

Yes, as a scientist, you can present scientifically-backed evidence to support your case for fighting a traffic ticket based on car speed. This can include data from speedometer readings, GPS data, or expert analysis of the road conditions and vehicle capabilities.

2. How does car speed affect the severity of a traffic violation?

Car speed is a crucial factor in determining the severity of a traffic violation. Generally, the faster a vehicle is traveling, the more serious the violation is considered. This can result in higher fines, points on your driving record, or even license suspension in some cases.

3. What methods can I use to accurately measure my car's speed?

There are several methods for accurately measuring a car's speed, including using a speedometer, a GPS device, or a radar gun. It is important to ensure that the method you choose is calibrated and functioning correctly to obtain accurate results.

4. How can I prove that my car's speed was within the legal limit at the time of the traffic violation?

To prove that your car's speed was within the legal limit, you can present evidence such as speedometer readings, GPS data, or expert analysis of the road conditions and vehicle capabilities. It may also be helpful to obtain witness testimony or video footage if available.

5. Can I use scientific research on car speed limits to support my case?

Yes, scientific research on car speed limits can be used to support your case for fighting a traffic ticket. This can include studies on the impact of speed on road safety, the accuracy of speed measurement methods, and the effectiveness of speed limit enforcement. However, it is important to ensure that the research is relevant and reliable.