Can I get into Caltech or MIT?

1. hello. I want to go to caltech for astrophysics.

GPA: 3.96 (Unweighted)
    Course work: 9 IB classes junior year and this coming year. Diploma Candiate. (IB HL Math. IB Chem HL, IB Bio HL, IB physics sl.)

I am testing in 3 IB science classes, for a total of 7 IB tests, which 5 are HL. Also testing AP

AP Calc AB: 3
    AP Chem: 3
    IB Physics SL: 4

I know those are low, but I am taking college classes to make up for them. MTH251, MTH252, PH211. I am also taking both AP Physics C tests and AP Calc BC end of this year.

ACT: 32 English, 30 Math, 29 Reading, 33 Science. Retaking
    SAT Subject tests: 750 Chem, 800 Math II, 720 Physics.

Extracurriculars: AMC (Participent), Math League (state certificate thing), Mid-Valley Regional Math Conference Participent (3 years). Math Help Tutor. NHS. Boy Scouts (Eagle). Avatar (English and Art Magazine.). National Spanish Honor Society.

I also have a job, about 25 hours a week. I also do Valve Source (Half Life 2) mapping as a hobby. I also do tech support for my friends and family members. My Extended Essay is on Schrodinger's Wave Function and its failures.

Thank you for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. There is certainly no reason that you should not apply to both. Your credentials are strong. I'm not really sure those schools even bat an eye once they see your test scores are up to their par, as they definitely look at your application essays and recommendation letters more to help them sort out their applicants (who all often look identical in the test scoring department). I think now is the time to concentrate on the parts of your application that don't deal with lists and numbers, and will allow them to see your passion and ability. That is my opinion, but I didn't go to either of those schools, so hopefully someone has more school specific advice. Either way, apply and good luck!
  4. You won't get into either. Be realistic and look into some less selective colleges. There are certainly a number of solid schools that would suit your needs and would accept you.
  5. jgens

jgens 1,621
    Gold Member

While I certainly think that the OP should look into less selective colleges, he/she certainly has a (slim) chance of being accepted to Caltech or M.I.T. Admissions are unpredictable.
  6. cristo

cristo 8,384
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you base this comment on? Are you on the admissions board for Caltech or MIT?
  7. The Chem and AB Calc 3 are going to hurt your case. Do you have any Extracurriculars that are based around competition in Math and Science?How did you do on AMC? Do you go to a big name HS(Exeter,Stuyvessant and such)? Have you worked as a research assistant at a local university?

Realistically Caltech incoming class size is about 200 and MIT is 1000. If you didnt do well on AMC that will not help since all those kids that did do well are very likely going to apply to MIT and Caltech as well the kids who did well in Science Fairs and the kids who worked as Research Assitants and the kids who absurdly excelled at some other activity.
    By Extended Essay do you mean your admissions essay because that really should be more about you.
  8. jgens

jgens 1,621
    Gold Member

He/She is talking about the Extended Essay that is required for I.B. diploma canidates, not admissions essays. I wouldn't think the EE would help much unless it was exceptional but I'm not entirely familiar with the admissions process.
  9. Just so you know, colleges do NOT see AP scores before admission. They aren't part of your application in most universities so they only see the grades on your transcript. That's how I remember it working at any rate.

But yeah, you have a chance but it's slim.
  10. thrill3rnit3

thrill3rnit3 711
    Gold Member

This might be a little off topic, but how's UChicago/NYU/Berkeley's admission process compared to Caltech/MIT? More selective? About equal?
  11. Colleges dont see any optional test like any SAT II outside of your 3 required but typically this is reported by students and it is expected to report your AP Scores if you have taken an AP tests through ETS because they will see you have taken the AP Course in your transcripts.
  12. Caltech and MIT slightly more competitive.
  13. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus 2,205
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't worry too much. I'll certainly apply to MIT and CalTech, and other top schools. However, remember to apply to other schools. There are plenty of good State schools. Try to avoid falling in the trap of my Undergraduate has to be completed at an Ivy League or a too well known for their own good schools.
  14. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,244
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Of course you can apply, but you shouldn't apply only to Caltech and MIT. They take a very small fraction of applicants, so you shouldn't ever count on them.

Looking at what you have told us, what I see is a student who has high grades, but does less well with objective assessments. That means that the rest of the application has to be stronger than the average admitted student's.
  15. thrill3rnit3

thrill3rnit3 711
    Gold Member

would 1 or 2 B's throughout high school hurt your application?
  16. No, but less-than-amazing extracurriculars would.
  17. My friend's brother got into MIT (although not for astrophysics) with credentials similar to yours. Obviously this doesn't mean you're in for sure, but you should definitely apply if that's where you're looking to go.
  18. thank you everyone!!!!!! Caltech and MIT are my top choices. This helped alot.
  19. U-chicago is easier to get in but still very hard. Berkeley is not hard to get in for undergrad. NYU is very easy to get in (its grad school is not). I was a real slacker in high school but got a 2280 on the SAT (not especially high) and was admitted to NYU (with a very good scholarship) and Berkeley. From your posts on physics forum I'm sure you will get in.

The exclusivity of the graduate and undergraduate programs at most universities are not the same and may be very different. Since you seem very advanced the quality of the graduate education at your school might actually be more important for you. The following website seems to agree with my experience and those of my friends (I went to a very good high school and new about 25 people who went to IVy-quality schools out of a graduating class of 180).
  20. On the other hand, admissions can be rather random, and you do have the situation in which admissions committees think to themselves, we've already admitted enough people with 800 math SAT scores, and we want someone that is different. Here is someone that wrote a funny essay or did something different from the other 1000 applications and we should choose him.

One thing that MIT tries very hard to do is to make sure that not everyone that gets admitted is the stereotypical MIT student.
  21. I managed to get in.....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
: caltech