Are My Chances of Getting into Grad School Good Enough?

In summary: Start by doing some research on the programs you're interested in and write a letter of intent/application explaining your motivation and skills. You may also want to take the GRE if you haven't done so already.
JabberWalkie
Hello all. I am wondering what my chances are of getting into grad school. I realize there are other posts on the topic, but everyone is in a different situation so I think this is warranted.

I have what the university calls a combined honors mathematics and physics BSc degree from the University of British Columbia. I am a Canadian student, so going to a Canadian university would be preferable, as the Canadian government subsidizes tuition fees here. Although, I would go anywhere if I can afford it.

I have an overall standing of 78% for my university career. I took many high level mathematics courses, which ended up lowering my overall standing. I simply enjoyed the tough math, even though it did lower my average and was hard as hell. However, in all the courses that count (QM,E&M,Solid State,Statistical Mechanics/Thermodynamics) I got A's.

I spent my 4th year working on an 'undergraduate thesis'. Which is a small research project you work on with the help of a professor. My project had to do with photo emission spectroscopy on YBCO, which was interesting to say the least. I enjoyed working in the lab, everything from tightening bolts to talking about theory and troubleshooting.

Also, during my 4th year I was getting quite burnt out. All those math classes I took ended up stressing me out. So, I decided not to go directly into graduate schooling. Now it is about a year later, and I am feeling the need to do some physics (next fall I guess). It is hard to describe, but there is something missing. I have toyed with being an engineer, but even with the promise of money and many job prospects I still want to work in physics.

I have not taken the GRE yet, but I have not decided 100% to go to grad school yet. I am just testing the waters, so to speak.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time out of their day read this and formulate a response.

Physics news on Phys.org
JabberWalkie said:
Hello all. I am wondering what my chances are of getting into grad school. I realize there are other posts on the topic, but everyone is in a different situation so I think this is warranted.

I have what the university calls a combined honors mathematics and physics BSc degree from the University of British Columbia. I am a Canadian student, so going to a Canadian university would be preferable, as the Canadian government subsidizes tuition fees here. Although, I would go anywhere if I can afford it.

I have an overall standing of 78% for my university career. I took many high level mathematics courses, which ended up lowering my overall standing. I simply enjoyed the tough math, even though it did lower my average and was hard as hell. However, in all the courses that count (QM,E&M,Solid State,Statistical Mechanics/Thermodynamics) I got A's.

I spent my 4th year working on an 'undergraduate thesis'. Which is a small research project you work on with the help of a professor. My project had to do with photo emission spectroscopy on YBCO, which was interesting to say the least. I enjoyed working in the lab, everything from tightening bolts to talking about theory and troubleshooting.

Also, during my 4th year I was getting quite burnt out. All those math classes I took ended up stressing me out. So, I decided not to go directly into graduate schooling. Now it is about a year later, and I am feeling the need to do some physics (next fall I guess). It is hard to describe, but there is something missing. I have toyed with being an engineer, but even with the promise of money and many job prospects I still want to work in physics.

I have not taken the GRE yet, but I have not decided 100% to go to grad school yet. I am just testing the waters, so to speak.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time out of their day read this and formulate a response.

Absolutely. If you got all A's in your physics classes and have experimental physics research experience/reference letter then I'd say you're a shoe-in if you apply for experimental in Canada. The only Caveat is that UBC might have a retarded 80% cumulative average requirement (I can't rememeber). However, it is the only school in Canada with that requirement.

I don't know about "shoe-in" but it's likely you will be able to get in somewhere. Contact the graduate advisors in the departments you're interested into see what your chances are.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, you only have to write the GRE if you're planning on going to the U.S.

Something you may want to think about is how you can 'stay in the game.' It's likely you will have been out of school for two years by the time you start back again.

Choppy said:
Something you may want to think about is how you can 'stay in the game.' It's likely you will have been out of school for two years by the time you start back again.

Well, I was thinking about buying some graduate level QM and E&M texts and studying in the meantime. To be sure, I have gotten rusty. Some recommendations along these lines would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-JabberWalkie

JabberWalkie said:
Well, I was thinking about buying some graduate level QM and E&M texts and studying in the meantime. To be sure, I have gotten rusty. Some recommendations along these lines would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-JabberWalkie

I honestly think you have nothing to worry about. I had worse marks (though very good letters of recommendation and work experience) and I essentially had my pick of uni's. I'd only add that in terms of application to grad school, remember that you're applying to profs not schools. Find a prof, initiate a dialogue stating an interest, receive a response gauging their opinion AND THEN send in an application. And consider all schools. I ended up choosing one of the better reputation schools I was accepted to (though not the best) but grad school is a different game where a good prof in a less prestigious place can very much be the better choice.

Go through all the website of the Canadian uni's (well those with phys grad departments) and find the profs that interest you and cold e-mail.

1. What are the minimum requirements for getting into grad school?

The minimum requirements for getting into grad school vary depending on the program and university. Generally, most grad schools require a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a minimum GPA of 3.0, and satisfactory scores on standardized tests like the GRE or GMAT. Some programs may also have additional requirements such as work experience or prerequisite courses.

2. How important are letters of recommendation in the grad school application process?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of the grad school application process as they provide insight into your academic abilities and potential for success in the program. It is recommended to have letters from professors or professionals who can speak to your skills and qualifications related to the program you are applying for.

3. What is a statement of purpose and how important is it for grad school admissions?

A statement of purpose is a personal essay that explains your reasons for applying to a specific grad school program and how it aligns with your academic and career goals. It is an important component of the application process as it allows the admissions committee to get a better understanding of who you are and why you are a good fit for the program.

4. Can work experience substitute for a strong academic background?

In some cases, work experience can be considered as a substitute for a strong academic background, especially for professional or applied degree programs. However, it ultimately depends on the specific program and university's admissions criteria. It is recommended to research the program's requirements and reach out to the admissions office for clarification.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting into grad school?

To increase your chances of getting into grad school, it is important to have a strong academic background, including a high GPA and good scores on standardized tests. Additionally, having relevant research or work experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written statement of purpose can also improve your chances. It is also important to apply to multiple programs and universities to increase your options.