Can I get into MIT, cal Berkeley or Stanford?

twofish-quant said:
It can be, but one problem is that once people figure out what the "right answers" are, they tend to mold themselves to give the right answers.
And to put a different spin, some people are unable to give great answers to some of the kinds of questions asked. Many applications ask hypothetical type questions, which may be strange in nature, and I would say slightly ridiculously so. Personality engineering only goes so far, because at the end of the day, an essay response is a short, potentially skewed fragment of a person's presentation (not even necessarily the reality) of how he/she is.

It can be, but one problem is that once people figure out what the "right answers" are, they tend to mold themselves to give the right answers.
It can depend -- I think if you really tailor your application carefully and do a lot of the things right which people from the well-represented schools do, then you're more likely to get in. I think on the flip side, some schools just do send more students to MIT, and the "right things" to get in are probably more a subject of discussion in the right schools, plus doing really well in the school can mean more. Doing nothing to tailor your application to top schools, even if learning lots of good stuff on the side and developing oneself, tends to mean kissing them goodbye. For someone of high intellectual ability, who can do a lot of the things which might boost his/her chances, and thrive in one of the well-represented schools, it's probably a good idea to attempt. For a student who will be overshadowed by the crowd there, maybe not.

hotvette said:
P.S. Valedictorian seems to have a different meaning than when I went to school. My senior class had one. My daughter told me her school has 30. Grade inflation maybe?
Certainly. Although this does not happen at all schools. There are definitely schools out there who still distinguishes +/- grades and make it so very few people, if maybe just 1 or 2, get A's in the advanced placement courses in high school.

Dude, take it easy. As of right now, you can do almost anything. Take life one day at a time.
This, is the most direct and relevant advice I've seen in the thread...I'm in the exact same scenario you're in (the OP). Only thing to worry about right now is keeping up the good work and making sure it stays that way through the time you start applying to such universities. No need to stress out right now over whether or not you'll get into an ivy league school.

I heard that classes in Canada seem to be easier than in the US (not sure though)... but anyway, it seems like you have a good chance, good luck :)
Completely false. I did my first half of high school in Canada and the second half in the US. I was amazed at how terrible the American high school was in comparison to my Canadian one. American education seems to be focused completely on "teaching to the test".
There were several people in my U.S. classes that had overall averages over 100%, due to easy courses and extra credit everywhere. In contrast, in Canada, only 3 people (in both Grade 9 and Grade 10) made over 90% average, and were invited to a special banquet in the city in recognition.

DMT
I have just finished grade 10 pre IB in Canada. And I am starting IB next year.
I will take HL math, chem and english, and SL physics, geography, and french(which i am almost fluent in.)
GPA: 4.0 unweighted
I have also completed grade 11 and 12 biology, receiving top marks in the school (97 in each).
Precentile: 1/450 students
Extracurriculars:
*Debate: Competed at nationwide university tournaments at Queens and Western, where I place 23rd and 9th. Also helping to create our schools first debate tournament.
*Jazz Band: Alto Saxaphone
*Math and Science tutor at school
*have my own tutoring business
*member of robotics club
*Rep soccer: 5x a week, play for one of the top teams in Canada, we have travelled to Germany, Scotland, and Italy to play teams such as Bayern Munich and Glasgow Rangers

Volunteering:
*Help out at the soccer club
*Kidney foundation
*Salvation Army
*Member of local environmental group helping raise awareness about the environment
* Helping with a fundraiser to bring soccer clothes and equipment to Africa
*Hoping to go to Kenya next year to help build houses and bring supplies

Jobs:
I have been a soccer ref for the past 5 years.
Also, I am applying for an internship at Oracle software developping.

Future:
Taking computer programming courses this and next summer.

I havent taken Sats but plan on taking them this year with SAT2s in MAth, Chem, and Physics. I was just wondering what are my chances of getting in, and what i should improve on? Also I was wondering whether I should contact the coaches at these schools for my soccer, will that help my application at all? Finally I was wondering what other schools i should apply that i have a good chance at being accepted. I will be applying for engineering.
Thanks in advance
Well it all depends...If you're an upper-middle class white male, then probably not. Else, you've probably got nothing to worry about. :wink: