Can I get Surface Density from Volume Density?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a thin, circular aluminum membrane with a given radius and volume density. The main issue is how to determine the surface density of the membrane without knowing its thickness, which is said to be irrelevant. The conversation suggests using the formula \sigma = \rho ^ {2/3} to calculate the surface density from the volume density. However, there is some disagreement about this approach and suggestions are made to approximate the membrane as having the thickness of an aluminum atom. It is also mentioned that the problem could be solved if the membrane were spherical instead of circular.
Farina
I'm working on a vibration frequency problem
involving a thin, circular aluminum membrane
with a radius of 0.01m.

I know the volume density of Al.

How do I arrive at a surface density for this circular
membrane -- especially since I'm not given the
thickness (I'm told that frequencies for thin membranes
are independant of thickness).

I could see how to do this if I had a rectangular membrane,
but I have a circular membrane instead.

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can calculate the surface density from the volume density. It's just [itex]\sigma = \rho ^ {2/3} [/itex]

No, I don't think you can. If something has surface density [itex]\sigma[/itex], and you stack 3 thin sheets on top of each other, the total mass will be the mass of the three sheets. Now, something with finite thickness would be like having an infinite number of thin sheets stacked on top of each other, so the mass would be infinite (and so would the volume density).

Conversely, assume something has volume density [itex]\rho[/itex]. Let's say that we take a very bad approximation of it's surface density by taking a 1cm thick piece of the substance, and approximating it's surface density to be it's mass/surface area = mass/(volume/1cm) = 1cm * [itex]\rho[/itex]. Now, the "true" surface density would be this number as the thickness approches zero. If we start with a thickness t = 1cm, then we have that it's "bad-approximate" surface density is [itex]t\rho[/itex]. What we need to do, obviously, is evaluate the limit as t approaches zero, and since [itex]\rho[/itex] is just some positive finite number, the limit is zero, so it's surface density is zero, which is what we have in real life (because objects are 3-d).

I'm not sure how to go about solving your problem, but the best suggestion I can give is to treat "thin" as having the thickness of the atomic radius of aluminum. You can then treat the membrane as a zero-thickness membrane with surface density (approximated to) [itex]t\rho[/itex], where t is the radius of aluminum atom, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is its density.

Gokul is saying something else, I'm not sure where he's getting that from.

I assume you mean a sperical membrane not circular -- the volume density then tells you the mass of the membrane -- thickness assumed at some value -- so you have the details the rest is up to you -- I would not know how to solve this offhand.

1. How is surface density different from volume density?

Surface density refers to the amount of mass per unit area on the surface of an object, while volume density refers to the amount of mass per unit volume of an object.

2. Can I convert surface density to volume density or vice versa?

No, surface density and volume density cannot be directly converted because they measure different properties of an object. However, you can calculate one from the other if you know the dimensions of the object.

3. What factors affect surface density and volume density?

The mass and dimensions of an object are the main factors that affect both surface density and volume density. Additionally, the type of material and its density also play a role in determining these values.

4. How can I measure surface density and volume density in the lab?

To measure surface density, you can use a weighing scale to measure the mass of an object and then calculate its surface area using appropriate formulas. To measure volume density, you can use a graduated cylinder to measure the volume of an object and then calculate its mass using a scale.

5. Why is it important to know surface density and volume density?

Surface density and volume density are important in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. They help us understand the properties and behavior of different materials and objects, and can also be used in engineering and manufacturing processes.