1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Can I get the same results for PhD either in Physics or Engineering

1. Dec 1, 2004 #1
    My research topic for PhD is "Electromagnetic problem solving techniques and applications to power electronics". Although I have made the decision to do my PhD in engineering, I want to know your openion if I can do the same thing in PhD Physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2
    still waiting for your replies..............................................................
  4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    wow, a year an a half!
  5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    If you already have the title to your dissertation you're pretty much stuck on one track, unless you want to add a few years to your student career.
  6. Apr 17, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doing such a topic, as with any phd, you are exactly limited by the availability of a supervisor. Which department they are in could well vary from university to university, assuming the university even has the facilities to supervise such a project.
  7. Apr 18, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's also the course requirements to consider. You've probably gone through a bunch of the required courses for an EE degree. You'll have to start from scratch and take different courses if you want to switch to physics.

Going by the thesis title alone, I'd say it's closer to EE than to Physics.
  8. Apr 18, 2006 #7
    Generally speaking, you can do whatever you want for your thesis as long as you can convince your advisor, committee members, and department to go along with it.

Depends on your university, but generally you can't jump departments without reapplying and fulfilling the new class/generals requirements. In some cases, that could be a formality and you could petition out of equivalent classes, but it seems like it would be a major headache.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?