1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I major in Magnets?

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    I know the answer's no, so what's the next best undergrad major? Ultimately, I would like to be in on the R&D side of things. EE or Physics? Maybe another major? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2
    that is one of the strangest thing I've heard (no offense there)... what do you mean by majoring in magnets?

4. Jan 10, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If your ultimate interest lies in research, then physics is likely the best subject to major in, but electrical engineering, engineering physics and materials science are other options as well.

5. Jan 10, 2009 #4
    Haha. Sorry Tim, it was meant to just show that I'm interested in Magnets. Just want to know what's the best path for my goal.

6. Jan 10, 2009 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you interested in the theory of magnetics or the applications of magnets to technology?

7. Jan 10, 2009 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

(note: this is a US perspective)

Not for your Bachelor's (undergrad) degree. Bachelor's degrees are for breadth, you don't start doing depth (picking a branch and going down it) until grad school.

However, once you're getting near grad school simply look up magnetic research and see if you can find some prominent names, then find the university they're at. You'll want somebody who does research in magnets as your advisor. You'll still take other physics classes, but you can focus on magnets if that's what you really want.

Seriously though, if you haven't gotten your bachelor's yet, just do that first. You'll most likely change your mind (our broaden your perspective, at least) by the time you're done with it.

8. Jan 10, 2009 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Another thing:

you may actually be interested in the Materials Science side of magnets, not the physics side. Look into that. I can only guess since I'm not inside your head.

9. Jan 10, 2009 #8
    A suggestion: complete two majors, one theoretical and one applied. That way, you'll maximize your options.

10. Jan 10, 2009 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

I haven't heard of anyone who double majored in 2 subjects which are virtually the same: eg. applied maths and pure maths, applied physics and theoretical. I doubt the college will count the classes required for the double major as sufficiently distinct to award one.

11. Jan 10, 2009 #10
    By that, I meant something along the lines of math/computer science (as I am doing), math/EE, or physics/ME (as two of my friends are doing), not literally two things within the same field of study/department. Perhaps he could go for both EE and physics? Anyway, that's my two cents.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?