Can I pull a network cable from the middle of the run?

In summary: If the cable must stay on the spool, there may not be a good solution. It is also possible to remove one side of the spool and pull from the center, but this may cause twists in the cable. Another option is to respool the cable starting from the center and pulling both ends simultaneously, but this may be extra work. Using a splice or female-female adapter may also be a good solution. In summary, there are multiple options for unspooling cable from the middle toward both ends, including unspooling the second half, removing one side of the spool, respooling from the center, or using a splice or adapter.
Richard Crane
TL;DR Summary
Is there a way to "unspool" cable from the middle toward both ends?`````
I need to run about 70 ft of ethernet cable through my basement, which is actually two separate unconnected spaces ( there is a small gap above the dividing wall). Because of the layout -- bends and very limited space -- it will be much easier to start near the middle and pull toward each end. I made a simple holder for my spool of cable, but cannot figure out if there is a way to actually do this. Obviously if I pull 1/2 the length of cable then switch to the other end it is going to rewind the first part. Can anyone suggest a way, or confirm that I just have to pull for the entire length?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are mechanical devices which release cables from two opposite sides, but I don't think for ethernet cables. It would probably be easier to use connector plugs and more than one cable.

Richard Crane said:
Summary: Is there a way to "unspool" cable from the middle toward both ends?`````

I need to run about 70 ft of ethernet cable through my basement, which is actually two separate unconnected spaces ( there is a small gap above the dividing wall). Because of the layout -- bends and very limited space -- it will be much easier to start near the middle and pull toward each end. I made a simple holder for my spool of cable, but cannot figure out if there is a way to actually do this. Obviously if I pull 1/2 the length of cable then switch to the other end it is going to rewind the first part. Can anyone suggest a way, or confirm that I just have to pull for the entire length?
Why not just unspool the 2nd 35 feet? It's not that much cable to have loose. I don't see a good way if it has to stay on the spool.
You could remove one of the sides of the spool and then pull some from the center, but you will put a lot of twists into the cable that way. I'm not sure if that matters in your case.
I guess you could respool it starting from the center and pull each end simultaneously, but that sounds like extra work to me. You would still have to unspool half of it, but you could do that in a more convenient location than your basement.
I also like the splice idea since you are probably already set up to crimp connectors on the ends. You would just need to buy a female-female adapter, which are easy to find where I live.

Likes davenn
Richard Crane said:
Summary: Is there a way to "unspool" cable from the middle toward both ends?`````
Obviously if I pull 1/2 the length of cable then switch to the other end it is going to rewind the first part.

That's too difficult

Richard Crane said:

Can anyone suggest a way,

this ...

DaveE said:
Why not just unspool the 2nd 35 feet? It's not that much cable to have loose. I don't see a good way if it has to stay on the spool.

Totally agree with you Dave
Dave

1. Can I pull a network cable from the middle of the run?

It is not recommended to pull a network cable from the middle of the run. This can cause damage to the cable and disrupt the network connection.

2. Will pulling a network cable from the middle of the run affect the network speed?

Pulling a network cable from the middle of the run can cause disruptions in the network connection, which can result in slower network speeds.

3. Is it safe to pull a network cable from the middle of the run?

No, it is not safe to pull a network cable from the middle of the run. This can cause damage to the cable and potentially harm the network equipment.

4. Can I use a cable puller to remove a network cable from the middle of the run?

Using a cable puller to remove a network cable from the middle of the run is not recommended. This can cause damage to the cable and disrupt the network connection.

5. What is the proper way to remove a network cable from the middle of the run?

The proper way to remove a network cable from the middle of the run is to locate the nearest connection point, such as a network switch or wall jack, and disconnect the cable from there. This will ensure that the cable is removed safely and without causing any damage.