1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I qualify for Physics PhD?

1. Jul 31, 2014 #1
    can I make myself eligible for pursuing Ph.D if I compltee graduation and Masters from some distance course...
    Currently I am in India

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how getting a master through distance education would look on potential Ph.D. applications. Generally, if it can be avoided, and you can do a M.S. at a B&M institution with a good reputation, I would advise doing that.

4. Aug 1, 2014 #3
    thank you :)

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4
    Usually in the U.S. the Masters and PhD are not split and most don't even get a Masters (unless they decide they are not going to continue on, some manage to nab a Masters and then leave). It's basically one program. The online Masters (and I'm not sure there is such a thing for physics) won't count for anything, you'll start fresh at the PhD program and still have to take all the intro course and take the qualification exams after the first year or two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook