Can I quit smoking? Can we?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
I think I can. Does anyone want to join me? I actually started quitting last week. I've been wanting to quit for a long time -- I just needed a push. Well, I got it and figured I should pass it along. So if any of you want to quit smoking and just need a push, I'll push you. We can push each other. It'll be fun. :biggrin: Any takers? Don't be shy -- what do you have to lose?

Answers and Replies

I don't smoke. Ha. Loser.

(welcome back, by the way)

wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Long cool baths and walking in the rain is the best way to stop smoking, :biggrin: i can't give up my last habbit though :grumpy:

if i was a smoker, i'd quit with you! really, awesome of you! i hope it goes well. save your money for something better than cancer sticks. i always liked when people took the money they would've spent on a pack of cigs that day and save it. it adds up way fast, and then once you've quit for a few months, you've got all this cash to buy yourself a nice reward.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Best of luck to you!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
hrw, See if you can get arildno and marlon on board.

Good luck - I know how hard it can be based on what my wife and some friends went through. In the long run, it's worth it.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm already a non-smoker, so won't be joining you with quitting. :smile: Good luck with it though. I like Gale's idea of saving up all the money you would normally spend on cigarettes and treating yourself to something else nice you've always wanted...they're so expensive, it shouldn't take long at all, and it'll be fun incentive to keep going when you see your little jar of money filling up for whatever treat you've chosen for yourself. :approve:

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Run. Start running. Be a runner. THis seems to be my solution to everything. (everything except a sore achilles tendon). Seriously, I know people who had to stop smoking becuase it got inthe way of their running (my wife, for one). If you happen to be of a compulsive or obsessive nature, or a slave to habit, running can be just as addictive. Get good shoes, everything else can be cheap.

Or, try heroin. (joking, joking)

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
I think I can. Does anyone want to join me? I actually started quitting last week. I've been wanting to quit for a long time -- I just needed a push. Well, I got it and figured I should pass it along. So if any of you want to quit smoking and just need a push, I'll push you. We can push each other. It'll be fun. :biggrin: Any takers? Don't be shy -- what do you have to lose?
I'm with you rose. I too started quitting a little while ago (okay it was nearly a decade ago; and just days after I started... :rolleyes: ...but nevertheless).

I think I'm doing good.

Umm....now about this "pushing each other" bit ...:tongue2:

Quiting smoking is in the top 2 hardest things I've ever done.
For me, I had to break all the habit smokes...like in the car, and after dinner. And I started walking a lot. And I told myself, I could smoke if I wanted to, but everyday I would choose not to.
Almost 2 years for me now.

honestrosewater said:

I would quit with you but I already quit about 3 years ago......

Not to disappoint you but even now I still want to smoke. I don't think it ever goes away completely....:yuck:

Good, personally I do not like smokers at all. Stick to it, it will do you good!!!

http://www.cigarette.com/images/lung%20comparison.gif

Last edited:
I highly doubt that non-smoker lung is still alive while on that table....

Quittings easy, I do it all the time.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Smurf said:
I highly doubt that non-smoker lung is still alive while on that table....
:rofl: I thought the exact same thing! :rofl:

Hmm, interesting, I had not thought about that.

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's your mindset going into this rose? In a way I'd like to quit, but I'm afaid in a way I like it too much to give a serious try right now. Have you ever tried a patch? I was thinking the other day that maybe I'd like to try a patch, not to ween me off of nicotine so much as to give me an alternate, indefinite supply of nicotine. :tongue2: I need my drugs, ugh. Caffeine just isn't enough.

They make nicotine gum now that is made like the uber-mint gum and you can hardly tell the difference. The regular gum is horrid.

Alright! I'll join you! As of now I'll start smoking... Okay, now I can quit with you! Hmm... doesn't seem to hard so far.

Smoking is a faint memory but I did it cold turkey. It's the only way.

My son used this book:
http://freestopsmoking.homestead.com/

It's makes sure you'd stop with something anyhow, either stop smoking or stop reading.

edit
Forgot to mention. It worked very well for him. Not for somebody else, who stopped reading

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Hmm, interesting, I had not thought about that.
:tongue: Ah who needs critical thinking anyways.

Evo
Mentor
My mother was a three pack a day smoker back during WWII and read how unhealthy it was and quit cold turkey, and that's when it was considered glamorous, no one was supportive of her quitting.

You can do it! You will feel so much better. More dating opportunities too! Many men won't date women that smoke.

it was also before they were chemically engineered to keep you addicted

well... at least before they were so potently engineered

Awww... I'm sorry Rose but I don't exactly feel like quiting just yet.
I wish you all the luck though and will push you around some if you need it. :smile: