Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I quit smoking? Can we?

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I think I can. Does anyone want to join me? I actually started quitting last week. I've been wanting to quit for a long time -- I just needed a push. Well, I got it and figured I should pass it along. So if any of you want to quit smoking and just need a push, I'll push you. We can push each other. It'll be fun. :biggrin: Any takers? Don't be shy -- what do you have to lose?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    I don't smoke. Ha. Loser.

(welcome back, by the way)

4. Oct 24, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Long cool baths and walking in the rain is the best way to stop smoking, :biggrin: i can't give up my last habbit though :grumpy:

5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    if i was a smoker, i'd quit with you! really, awesome of you! i hope it goes well. save your money for something better than cancer sticks. i always liked when people took the money they would've spent on a pack of cigs that day and save it. it adds up way fast, and then once you've quit for a few months, you've got all this cash to buy yourself a nice reward.

6. Oct 24, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Best of luck to you!

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

hrw, See if you can get arildno and marlon on board.

Good luck - I know how hard it can be based on what my wife and some friends went through. In the long run, it's worth it.

8. Oct 24, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm already a non-smoker, so won't be joining you with quitting. :smile: Good luck with it though. I like Gale's idea of saving up all the money you would normally spend on cigarettes and treating yourself to something else nice you've always wanted...they're so expensive, it shouldn't take long at all, and it'll be fun incentive to keep going when you see your little jar of money filling up for whatever treat you've chosen for yourself. :approve:

9. Oct 24, 2005 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Run. Start running. Be a runner. THis seems to be my solution to everything. (everything except a sore achilles tendon). Seriously, I know people who had to stop smoking becuase it got inthe way of their running (my wife, for one). If you happen to be of a compulsive or obsessive nature, or a slave to habit, running can be just as addictive. Get good shoes, everything else can be cheap.

Or, try heroin. (joking, joking)

10. Oct 24, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with you rose. I too started quitting a little while ago (okay it was nearly a decade ago; and just days after I started... :rolleyes: ...but nevertheless).

I think I'm doing good.

Umm....now about this "pushing each other" bit ...:tongue2:

11. Oct 24, 2005 #10
    Quiting smoking is in the top 2 hardest things I've ever done.
    For me, I had to break all the habit smokes...like in the car, and after dinner. And I started walking a lot. And I told myself, I could smoke if I wanted to, but everyday I would choose not to.
    Almost 2 years for me now.

12. Oct 24, 2005 #11

I would quit with you but I already quit about 3 years ago......

Not to disappoint you but even now I still want to smoke. I don't think it ever goes away completely....:yuck:

13. Oct 24, 2005 #12
    Good, personally I do not like smokers at all. Stick to it, it will do you good!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  14. Oct 24, 2005 #13
    I highly doubt that non-smoker lung is still alive while on that table....

15. Oct 24, 2005 #14
    Quittings easy, I do it all the time.

16. Oct 24, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I thought the exact same thing! :rofl:

17. Oct 24, 2005 #16
    Hmm, interesting, I had not thought about that.

18. Oct 24, 2005 #17

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's your mindset going into this rose? In a way I'd like to quit, but I'm afaid in a way I like it too much to give a serious try right now. Have you ever tried a patch? I was thinking the other day that maybe I'd like to try a patch, not to ween me off of nicotine so much as to give me an alternate, indefinite supply of nicotine. :tongue2: I need my drugs, ugh. Caffeine just isn't enough.

19. Oct 24, 2005 #18
    They make nicotine gum now that is made like the uber-mint gum and you can hardly tell the difference. The regular gum is horrid.

20. Oct 24, 2005 #19
    Alright! I'll join you! As of now I'll start smoking... Okay, now I can quit with you! Hmm... doesn't seem to hard so far.

21. Oct 24, 2005 #20
    Smoking is a faint memory but I did it cold turkey. It's the only way.

My son used this book:
    http://freestopsmoking.homestead.com/

It's makes sure you'd stop with something anyhow, either stop smoking or stop reading.

edit
    Forgot to mention. It worked very well for him. Not for somebody else, who stopped reading

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?