Can I quit smoking? Can we?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Guess what? I made it the whole day without smoking. :smile: I think the worst is over. :cool:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
Guess what? I made it the whole day without smoking. :smile: I think the worst is over. :cool:
Woo hoo! Way to go! One day at a time, that's a good way to do it. If you can make it through one day, you can make it through another. :smile:

Evo
Mentor
honestrosewater said:
YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!

Way to go HRW!!!!!!!!! :approve:

honestrosewater said:
I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's death. :frown: And thank you for sharing that. I think it did at least push me to quit for good today. :smile:

yeah...lost times, but thanks been coping now and doing great since he died 4 years ago....just miss him sometimes, but life has to go on and i'm fine:smile:

Leah
I know smoking is bad. I've been smoking since 18 years old, at least a pack a day. So, that's about 26 years now. I've had several bronchitis outbreaks and even a pneumonia once. Do you think that would stop me from smoking? No. I hear it is harder to quit smoking than it is to get off heroin. On a lighter note, a did hear about a woman who lived to 105 years old and still smoked. Not that that is the norm, of course. My aunt still smokes and she is 80 years old. When I was once asked what causes cancer, I said, "Alcohol, tobacco, and Southern Cookin'". I'd rather live well, than die lean and mean. I guess we all have our choices about our lives. Good luck to all of you who quit smoking. Maybe someday, I'll quit too.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
How's everyone doing? Anyone have updates?

I'm still not smoking! :biggrin: I have sporadic cravings, but either they're getting weaker, I'm getting better at dealing with them, or both.

Great! Keep up the good work! :biggrin:

It's such an expensive habbit... I'm such a penny pincher. I think that's one reason why I never considered to smoke.

honestrosewater said:
How's everyone doing? Anyone have updates?
I'm still not smoking! :biggrin: I have sporadic cravings, but either they're getting weaker, I'm getting better at dealing with them, or both.
I haven't had a fag since Saturday night. \o/ I'm doing fine. I'm using gum, so I haven't had much in the way of cravings.

I'm staying with friends who smoke this weekend. :surprised <--- Me in hell.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Thanks, Niode. :smile:
El Hombre Invisible said:
I haven't had a fag since Saturday night. \o/ I'm doing fine. I'm using gum, so I haven't had much in the way of cravings.
I'm staying with friends who smoke this weekend. :surprised <--- Me in hell.
Wow, that's almost a whole week!

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :biggrin:

I hope your friends are supportive and don't make it too hard for you.

honestrosewater said:
Wow, that's almost a whole week!
Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :biggrin:
I hope your friends are supportive and don't make it too hard for you.
Thanks HRW! You must be on two or three weeks by now, right? Huge congrats. Be sure to give us an update when it's a month. I can't even think that far ahead yet.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Thanks HRW! You must be on two or three weeks by now, right? Huge congrats. Be sure to give us an update when it's a month. I can't even think that far ahead yet.
I started cutting back on the 18th, but I had my last cigarette on the 27th, so it's been a week. Yeah, a month will be super. :cool:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Great news, HRW. Best wishes for success.

Hang in there - you can do it!

honestrosewater said:
I started cutting back on the 18th, but I had my last cigarette on the 27th, so it's been a week. Yeah, a month will be super. :cool:
You're a week too?!? Anniversary dance!

\:approve:/---_:cool:__---\:cool:----:blushing:__ \:surprised/
-|------|-------|\--__/---__/----\
-/ \-----Lv-----/L----L-----/------\___/:yuck:---______:rofl:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You're a week too?!? Anniversary dance!
\:approve:/---_:cool:__---\:cool:----:blushing:__ \:surprised/
-|------|-------|\--__/---__/----\
-/ \-----Lv-----/L----L-----/------\___/:yuck:---______:rofl:

That's bloody brilliant. :rofl:

And congratulations too, on one week!

Astronuc said:
That's bloody brilliant. :rofl:
And congratulations too, on one week!
Cheers mate, but alas I am undeserving - I smoked 6 cigarettes on Saturday night. :redface: Ah well. I have not restarted - just a drunken glitch.

Just caught this thread now. I had a serious attempt at quitting about a month and a half ago, but then broke up with my girlfriend and started again. I'm in the middle of my exams now and quite stressed, so I am going to quit after my last one this Friday. I think having others on PF quitting as well will help :) Keep up the good work guys, I sure as hell know how hard it is.

Kazza_765 said:
Just caught this thread now. I had a serious attempt at quitting about a month and a half ago, but then broke up with my girlfriend and started again. I'm in the middle of my exams now and quite stressed, so I am going to quit after my last one this Friday. I think having others on PF quitting as well will help :) Keep up the good work guys, I sure as hell know how hard it is.
Yeah, my decision to quit followed my last exam too. It's a good time to do it - there's already a sense of renewal as the intense revision ends and that corner has been taken. Sorry to hear about your girlfriend. You'll find new love sooner if you don't reek of cigarettes. We'll all get through it together.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You guys are all doing great! El Hombre, I guess your friends weren't very supportive. It's toughest to be around others smoking when you're trying to quit. As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, they had to give up drinking too, because both went together. Probably have to at least avoid getting drunk since you're not going to have any willpower to resist smoking if your inhibitions are all relaxed. Oh well, no big deal, one slip-up isn't the end by any means, especially when you're only a week into quitting. HRW took a couple of weeks to just wean herself off the cigarettes, and you tried going completely cold turkey, so give yourself a couple weeks to get to the same point.

HRW, that's great to hear you feel like the cravings are lessening or you're at least handling them better. That's got to be the toughest part to get past. Yay!

Kazza, sorry to hear about the break-up. But, yes, El Hombre is so right...you'll find a new girlfriend so much faster when you don't smell of cigarettes. :biggrin: And once you've found a nice non-smoking girlfriend, it'll be even easier to stay smoke-free!