Can Math Prove Lim f(x)*g(x) Convergence/Divergence?

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slit
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a limit involving the product of two functions and the mathematical proof for it. It is concluded that nothing can be said about the convergence of the limit of f(x)*g(x), while the limit of f(x)+g(x) is proven to diverge.
Dell
if i have a lim of f(x)*g(x) can i say it is limf(x)*limg(x) like i could if i had lim of f(x)+g(x),
more specifically, in my homework i have a question where,

lim f(x) converges
x->inf

lim g(x) diverges
x->inf

and i am asked about convergence of lim u(x) when
1) u(x)=f(x)+g(x)
2) u(x)=f(x)*g(x)

for 1) i say
lim f(x)+g(x)= lim f(x) + lim g(x)====> diverges

for 2) I am not sure, but i think
if f(X) converges to any number, K*inf=inf and u(x) diverges
if f(X) converges to 0 , then 0*inf is undefined and u(x) diverges

1st of all i am not 100% that i am right, second of all how do i prove this MATHEMATICALLY?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dell said:
lim f(x) converges
x->inf

lim g(x) diverges
x->inf

and i am asked about convergence of lim u(x) when

2) u(x)=f(x)*g(x)

Hi Dell! :smile:

(have an infinity: ∞ :wink:)

Hint: x -> ∞ for f(x) = 1/x2, g(x) = x3 ?

x -> ∞ for f(x) = 1/x2, g(x) = x ? :wink:

in that case it really does diverge, but can i do that, just take any 2 functions and see what happens with them?? surely that is just one example and not enough to prove anything

o i see what you are saying, you are DISPROVING what i said,
so what does this mean? tha nothing can be said about fx*gx?? was i right about fx+gx??

Dell said:
o i see what you are saying, you are DISPROVING what i said,
so what does this mean? tha nothing can be said about fx*gx?? was i right about fx+gx??

Yes and yes :wink:

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in math?

Convergence and divergence are terms used to describe the behavior of a mathematical sequence or series. A sequence is said to converge if its terms approach a specific number as the sequence progresses. On the other hand, a sequence is said to diverge if its terms do not approach a specific number and instead become infinitely large or oscillate between different values.

2. How can math prove the convergence or divergence of a function?

Math can prove the convergence or divergence of a function by using various mathematical techniques and theorems, such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the function as the input approaches infinity and determining if it approaches a specific value or becomes infinitely large.

3. What is the importance of proving the convergence or divergence of a function?

Proving the convergence or divergence of a function is crucial in understanding the behavior and limits of the function. It allows us to determine if a function will approach a specific value or become infinitely large, which is essential in many real-world applications, such as calculating the accuracy of numerical methods or determining the stability of a system.

4. Can math always prove the convergence or divergence of a function?

No, math cannot always prove the convergence or divergence of a function. There are some cases where the behavior of a function is too complex or unpredictable, and mathematical techniques cannot be applied. In these cases, we may need to use other methods, such as numerical approximations or simulations, to understand the behavior of the function.

5. How does the convergence or divergence of f(x) * g(x) relate to the individual convergence or divergence of f(x) and g(x)?

The convergence or divergence of f(x) * g(x) is related to the individual convergence or divergence of f(x) and g(x) through the multiplication rule for limits. If both f(x) and g(x) converge individually, then their product will also converge. On the other hand, if either f(x) or g(x) diverges, then their product will also diverge. However, this rule only applies if the limits exist and are finite for both f(x) and g(x).