1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can i solve this problem using U-substitution?

1. Aug 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫ [(y)/((4-y^2)^1/2)] dy

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2
    Did you try?

4. Aug 17, 2012 #3
    Please provide an attempt at a solution so we can give you tips. We can't guide you in complete void.
    I will give you a tip though. Use the identity [itex]\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta=1[/itex].

5. Aug 17, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No trig identities are necessary for this one, just the "obvious" u substitution.

6. Aug 17, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

Hi vabellabel

Welcome to PF!

According to the forum rules, you need to make an attempt first and show us your work.

Maybe rewriting the problem in the following way will help you to visualize how to find the solution of this integral:
    $$\int \frac{y}{\sqrt{(4-y^2)}}\,.dy$$
    Look at the denominator. To make it easier, ignore the numerator in your analysis. How would you solve that integral?

7. Aug 17, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since the OP showed no effort, I am locking this thread. Ordinarily our policy is to delete such posts, but owing to multiple responses, I am only locking it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook