1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can i still get an A?

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    so today I took my first Calculus test...and failed it :( I did all the practice tests and got 100% on them but the test itself was different. anyway, now I'm freaking out that I may not be able to get an A anymore. Here's some info:

Weight Score
    (homework)10 79.6%
    (quiz)20 100%
    (test)60 55%

There are still three tests left. I can still get an A right? By the way, my average class grade is 67.7%...a D :/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the weights are 10, 20, and 60 for 90 possible points? Are you missing 10 points for something in there that would make it an even 100?

For the tests, is each worth 1/2 of the 60 points? And have you completed all the quizzes and homeworks?

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Did the instructor tell you the weight and how much everything is worth? If you can't figure out if you can still get an A, how are you in Calculus?

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    That's just rude.

Anyways, in order to find out if you can still get an A, we need to know how your teacher weighs each individual category.

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5
    Make sure that this class is your biggest priority and that you are willing to get tutors/get free help/skip blah blah blah for this class and you will do fine. If you have stuff going on like taking other hard classes, job demands, relationship issues, etc., then find ways around that, stay positive and keep your priorities mostly for calculus. That's how I would go about things, because calculus was a priority for me last year, but damn I had so many other things bothering me. SO, I failed the class. Also make sure you don't have a crappy teacher and that you find fun when doing homework.

7. Sep 22, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If one of my students, in a moderately advanced math class, asked me to basically compute his grade for him. I'd laugh. Many others would do worse.

8. Sep 23, 2011 #7

verty

Homework Helper

Usually courses are set up so that an A means you did well in every department, whether quiz, homework or exam, and a B means you did well generally but had some particular difficulty. So it may be that getting an A now is unlikely, but it just depends on how your course is graded.

One subject I did required only memorizing a database of facts and only the exam counted. So it depends.

9. Sep 23, 2011 #8
    It looks like the weights were given. Surely one should be able to figure out a weighted average by calculus.

But I think the more interesting question is how does the OP expect to ace every other quiz, test, and homework if he or she doesn't understand the basics on the first test? Forget about getting an A, just work hard to try to understand the material.

10. Sep 23, 2011 #9
    How much of the homework have you done, how many quizzes were issued and graded? You are missing 10% as well, where is it? Does your professor also allow for extra-credit? Weight maybe placed more heavily on tests than quizzes and homework from what I am assuming, just need some missing information.

But computing your own grade and doing a future analysis of what you could possibly get given that you work harder takes elementary mathematics. But I guess you just don't want to do all of that, I understand, but it'd be best to get into the habit of computing your own scores and hypothetical-dependent situations for future use.

If you are less than a month you might have only completed 4 quizzes?

11. Sep 24, 2011 #10
    Look at your syllabus, make an excel spreadsheet with the weights, and play around with numbers. I'd imagine if you get 100s on everything from here out, you may be able to get a B or low A. That's pretty unlikely though from what I see here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook