Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I sue for this?

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Back in grade school, I had to choose an instrument to play. My favorite instrument was the cello until I read this report: Maladies in Music

Who wants to get "cello scrotum"? I had to settle for accordion, as I found no maladies associated with that. People hate accordion players. I became introverted and developed antisocial behaviors and even quit playing accordion.

Now, 35 years later, Elaine Murphy admits the ailment she reported in the British Medical Journal in 1974 was nothing more than a hoax.

35 years later?! My whole career is gone already!!! :mad:

And now I hear "guitar nipple" might not even be a real ailment. I could have been a rock star! :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    If you live in US of A, I would say yes.

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

wolram

Gold Member

When i played drums, well dustbin lids, i suffered a variety of pains.

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it true you can tell whether a drummer has good rhythm or not by how many kids he has?

Or is having kids even an issue for drummers?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  6. Jan 28, 2009 #5
    Ahem.. by the way, that advice was not free. You can transfer me $10 or someone capable of paying in nature.

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Old roadie tip: How can you tell when the riser is level? Drool is coming out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7

wolram

Gold Member

That is a hard question to answer, i can only say personally i suffered to much pain while
    practising the bin lids to even think about kids, mind you i was only eight.

9. Jan 28, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I guess you've never been to a Polka dance. The people who love Polka, love accordian players!

10. Jan 28, 2009 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Drummer went into the music shop, picked some stuff up, and said "please can I have this trombone and this accordion?". The salesman says "fine, take the fire extinguisher, but the radiator is staying here!"

11. Jan 28, 2009 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did know a female accordion player that was pretty popular. She played topless and called herself, "Lady in Pain".

12. Jan 29, 2009 #11

neu

I also had to pack in playing a certain string instrument due to a similar although non-fictional reason:

Harp Helmet

13. Jan 29, 2009 #12
    The 1974 B.M.J. report was not referring to cello scrotum it was referring to jello scrotum and it relates to the severe wobbles certain parts of the anatomy suffer from when subjected to certain musical frequencies.It concluded that if affected one should go to the seaside with a can of fosters and a packet of ritz.

14. Jan 29, 2009 #13
    Can I sue my parents for that crap about Santa too? If it wasn't for that I'd probably be a high earner by now, or in MI6 or an astronaut or somit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?