Can I Take the Patent Bar with a BSEE and Passed FE Exam?

• Thread starter tyler1215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patent
In summary, to take the US Patent Bar and become a Patent Agent or Attorney, one must meet certain requirements, including having a BS in Engineering or related science, 20+ hours of physics courses and other sciences, or having passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. It is not necessary to have a degree to take the Patent Bar, as long as the other requirements are met. The USPTO always requires a bachelor's degree before taking their Registration Examination.
tyler1215
I have been thinking about taking the US Patent Bar to become a Patent Agent and possibly a Patent Attorney later down the road. I was looking at the requirements for one to be able to qualify to take the Patent Bar; the requirements are 1 of 3 things: 1) BS in Engineering or other related science, 2) about 20+ hours of Physics courses and other sciences, or 3) taken and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.

I will be receiving my BSEE this December, but I have already passed the FE exam back in April. Could I take the Patent Bar now or do I need to (or should I) wait until after I receive my degree?

Please answer this post based off of information you may know or collect, not based off of the information I provided above. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but the Patent Office always requires that you have a bachelor's degree before sitting for their Registration Examination.

Mark Dighton
Admin. Director, PLI's Patent Bar Review

Mark,

Thank you very much for a quick response back to my post.

Page eight of "General Requirements Bulletin for Admission to the Examination for Registration to Practice in Patent Cases Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office" states that having passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam you qualify to take the USPTO. You DO NOT need a B.S. degree.

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot provide legal advice. However, based on my knowledge of the requirements for taking the Patent Bar, it seems that you would meet the eligibility criteria with your BSEE degree and having passed the FE exam. I would recommend checking with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to confirm your eligibility and any additional steps you may need to take. It may also be beneficial to consult with a patent attorney or agent who has gone through the process themselves for further guidance. Best of luck in your pursuit of becoming a Patent Agent or Attorney.

1. Can I take the Patent Bar if I am not a U.S. citizen?

No, only individuals who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to take the Patent Bar exam.

2. Do I need a background in science or engineering to take the Patent Bar?

Yes, in order to take the Patent Bar exam, you must have a Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering field recognized by the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office).

3. How do I prepare for the Patent Bar exam?

There are many study resources available, including review courses, practice exams, and study guides. It is recommended to thoroughly review the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP), as well as other relevant laws and regulations.

4. Can I take the Patent Bar exam multiple times?

Yes, you are allowed to take the exam as many times as needed until you pass. However, there is a waiting period of 30 days between exams and you must pay the exam fee each time you take it.

5. Is there a time limit to take the Patent Bar after passing the exam?

Yes, you must apply for registration to the USPTO within three years of passing the exam. If you do not apply within this time frame, you will have to retake the exam.