1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I take the Patent Bar

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    I have been thinking about taking the US Patent Bar to become a Patent Agent and possibly a Patent Attorney later down the road. I was looking at the requirements for one to be able to qualify to take the Patent Bar; the requirements are 1 of 3 things: 1) BS in Engineering or other related science, 2) about 20+ hours of Physics courses and other sciences, or 3) taken and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.

I will be receiving my BSEE this December, but I have already passed the FE exam back in April. Could I take the Patent Bar now or do I need to (or should I) wait until after I receive my degree?

Please answer this post based off of information you may know or collect, not based off of the information I provided above. Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2
    Sorry, but the Patent Office always requires that you have a bachelor's degree before sitting for their Registration Examination.
    Sincerely,
    Mark Dighton
    Admin. Director, PLI's Patent Bar Review

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Mark,

Thank you very much for a quick response back to my post.

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4
    Page eight of "General Requirements Bulletin for Admission to the Examination for Registration to Practice in Patent Cases Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office" states that having passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam you qualify to take the USPTO. You DO NOT need a B.S. degree.

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook