1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I use an analogus function to show that the sequence is increasing or decreasing?

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    Folks,

This is the solution I have for a problem in my textbook regarding sequences. I just need to know whether I have the right idea in mind.

Thank you very much!

We can use an analogus function to show that the sequence given by

[tex] a_{n+1} = \sqrt{2+a_n} \quad a_1 = \sqrt{2} [/tex]

is increasing. Here it goes

[tex] y = \sqrt{2+x} = \left( 2+x \right) ^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2+x}}>0 \Longrightarrow a_{n+1}>a_n [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2
    You'd have to prove not that the function itself is increasing but that the nth iterate of x is less than the n+1st iterate of x. IF f is increasing then x<f(x) will to the job, I think, because then you could take f of both sides n times to get f^n(x)<f^n+1(x).

a_n=f^n(x).

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3
    Ok I gave it some thought and I really can't give you a definitive answer but I can ask you why you think that your analogous function is analogous? The question posed in the book will have a_infinity = 2 and in fact the function converges to the function y^2 - y - 2 = 0, whereas y = sqrt(2+x) goes well beyond 2. It just doesn't add up too well to me. I'll delete this if someone gives a better response (or maybe my incorrectness will compell someone to answer correctly)

5. Sep 23, 2004 #4
    Guys,

I've just found out it is better to use mathematical induction or graphical methods instead. Thanks for the help.

6. Sep 24, 2004 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I've used Differential Calculus to find out when does it increase or decrease a sequence with an anologous function, and then just check for n>= 1 values. I see no problem using this method as long as you understand what you're doing.

7. Sep 28, 2004 #6
    Oh... really? That's good.

Thank you very much!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?