Can IC bulbs be replaced by CF?

1. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 6,949
    Gold Member

I was thinking that it would be interesting if the government put a ban or something on IC bulbs for domestic residential uses. It seems like CF bulbs are more efficient and in the end actually more economical (based on $/hours usable before failing). It seems like it would be an easy calculation to determine how much electricity could be saved for the switch-over since you would expect roughly the same # of bulbs to go out each year and be re-purchased.

What are the pitfalls of CF that might not make this possible? Have i asked this before? Should i be president?
  2. jcsd
  3. Ok I'll vote for you as long as make me secetruary of education/secerturary defence/secertury of proper gramer use
  4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 6,949
    Gold Member

I will not be bought off by special interests
  5. I am going to impeach you!
  6. Interesting leap:

Compact fluorescents are very efficient.

--> The federal government should criminalize incandescence. An additional $15 billion for enforcement, tacked on to a military appropriations bill.
  7. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 6,949
    Gold Member

$30 billion if im elected president! Think of our children's future!
  8. Q: How many web-surfing environmentalists does it take to change a lightbulb?
  9. Ok..but can you put incharge of light bulb inspections?
  10. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, we have had this discussion before, but I'm a big fan of CF lamps.....

Right now, their low sales are strictly a matter of economics - people don't realize how much money they lose in the long term by not putting up the extra ~$5 up front for the bulbs. Its a classic business problem that plagues my industry as well. Incentives (or putative legislation) would certainly help and I think it is something that should be done.
    Their numbers are much too conservative, though - a good 23 watt, not a 32 watt, CF is equivalent to a 100w incadescent. They also don't include the effect it has on air conditioning in the summer.

More numbers: a $6, 10,000 hour 23w CF will cost about $30 to power over its lifetime (at $.13per kWh).
    3.3, $2, 3000 hour (total cost: $6.6) 100w incandescents will cost about $130 to power.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?