Exploring Quantum Mechanics: Interference Experiments with Entangled Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entanglement in quantum mechanics and how it relates to interference experiments. It is not possible to perform an interference experiment on one entangled particle and still see interference on the other. The size of an object does not determine whether it can show interference or not, as it is possible to see interference even with large objects, such as atoms and molecules.
feizex
Hi,

This is my first post here. I have done some reading on quantum mechanics and am curious to know more.

I know about the double slit experiment and the interference pattern produced. I have also read of entangled pairs.

My main question is:

If you have a pair of entangled particles (say an emitted photon pair, or electron pair?) and you attempt an interference experiment on one of the entangled particles, can you still perform an interference experiment with the other?

If not and the wavefunction collapses or decoheres(?) presumably the apparatus that was closest to the source will show the interference and the one further away will not?

What happens if they are both at the same distance?

As an aside, I have also read that the quantum "wavelength" for a grain of sand is shorter than it's physical diameter so you can't perform an interference experiment with it. Is that true? Doesn't that imply that anything larger than a grain of sand has a known location?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

feizex said:
If you have a pair of entangled particles (say an emitted photon pair, or electron pair?) and you attempt an interference experiment on one of the entangled particles, can you still perform an interference experiment with the other?
No, you cannot. (This is also related to the delayed choice experiments, in which interference can only be seen as encoded in the coincidences between the entangled pairs.)

feizex said:
If not and the wavefunction collapses or decoheres(?) presumably the apparatus that was closest to the source will show the interference and the one further away will not?
No, neither of them will show interference. Interference can only be seen through coincidences.

feizex said:
What happens if they are both at the same distance?
It will not change anything.

feizex said:
As an aside, I have also read that the quantum "wavelength" for a grain of sand is shorter than it's physical diameter so you can't perform an interference experiment with it. Is that true? Doesn't that imply that anything larger than a grain of sand has a known location?
That is true in practice, but not in principle. In principle, even a grain of sand could show interference.
In practice, physicists can do interference with atoms and molecules, the size of which is also much bigger than their wavelength.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other, and has revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

2. What are interference experiments?

Interference experiments involve observing how particles behave when they interact with each other or with their environment. This can include observing how particles pass through barriers, interact with other particles, or interact with different types of energy.

3. What are entangled particles?

Entangled particles are two or more particles that are connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This phenomenon is known as quantum entanglement and is a key concept in quantum mechanics.

4. Why are interference experiments with entangled particles important?

Interference experiments with entangled particles are important because they help us understand the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles on a quantum level. They also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

5. What are some common examples of interference experiments with entangled particles?

Some common examples of interference experiments with entangled particles include the double-slit experiment, the delayed-choice experiment, and the quantum eraser experiment. These experiments have helped scientists better understand the nature of particles and have led to groundbreaking discoveries in quantum mechanics.