Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can Information.?

1. Feb 2, 2004 #1

Why

Can Information.......?

Be stored in a non-physical field?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2004 #2

Why

Morpho-genetic

Biochemist Rupert Sheldrake is a proponent although many debunk him there have been some experiments confirming.

Can information move in a repetitive motion creating a 'field' and hold the signal or information intact?

4. Feb 3, 2004 #3

Why

Vibration?

What about a vibration?

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    Main Entry: vi·brate
    Pronunciation: 'vI-"brAt, esp British vI-'
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): vi·brat·ed; vi·brat·ing
    Etymology: Latin vibratus, past participle of vibrare to brandish, wave, rock -- more at WIPE
    transitive senses
    1 : to swing or move to and fro

Many scientists believe in vibrating strings...as a layman I would love some scientific input on this idea...thanks!

5. Feb 3, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Isn't a radio signal information "stored" in a field? It's not stored very long but it is there.

On the other hand, we get "information" about the makeup of a distant star from its light. Wasn't that information stored in the electromagnetic field for, possibly, thousands of years?

6. Feb 3, 2004 #5
    Even simpler the old IBM memory model rows and rows of small torus shaped magnets with a charge for 1 and no charge for 0 (the atoms aligned where the magnitic field is produced or random alignment where there is no magnetic field)

Or a laser where photons race back and forth between two mirrors with one at 100% reflectivity and one at 99%, it emerges as coherent light which can be modulated by varience of the input voltage.

This case like other posted examples tho are time "sensitive", which means once the information flows past us it is gone.
    I can't think of any case where a standing wave is produced where it is persistent and self reinforcing that does not require instrumentalities.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  7. Feb 3, 2004 #6

Why

Nice!!

Thanks TillEulenspiegel
    Nice!
    My idea on the nonphysical information storage field would be a weaker circular energy movement carrying the information held inside a stronger spherical energy loop ...
    (dissected view)
    Loop within a loop.
    [​IMG]

PS: I'm thinking a machine could initiate the energetic sphere but it would be self-sustaining.

8. Feb 3, 2004 #7
    Ummm well I'm sorry but what you propose is a sort of perpetual motion schema. As it violates the laws of thermodynamics I'm afraid it is not possible.

Edit to add:

BTW most of the responsible scientific community consider Rupert Sheldrake's claims to be "woo-woo"

9. Feb 3, 2004 #8

Why

Hey again Tell....yeah I know abour Sheldrakes rep.

Why not?

10. Feb 4, 2004 #9
    You cannot have a field or force that controls another force without expending energy. Which in turn means that the controlling force must be "fed" energy to add back the energy that it expends to control the first force. The second law states that all systems move toward entropy with times arrow ( 1 way, forward ) so if you don't "recover"the expended energy the two forces will move toward equilibrium and the second force will not be able to control the first one thereby losing your information. Magnetic "bottles"are used to contain particles and plasmas but the useful ones are electro magnets, I suppose you could confine some less energetic particles with super strong rare earth magnets and arrange the spin state of the particles to be the" information " (CW spin=0 CCW=1) but to what end?

11. Feb 5, 2004 #10

Why

Possibly there are force fields which are so subtle that we currently can't measure them?
    I'm trying to determine if morphogentic fields are a possibility.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?