Can Interferance cause magnification?

In summary: The phenomenon described appears to be related to the distance between the observer and the object of observation. When the observer is close by, the pattern is more noticeable. However, when the observer is further away, the pattern is less noticeable.
pallidin
There is this house down the street which has one of those new, white plastic vinyl fences around the front yard.
This particular fence is constructed in such a way as the vertical members are the width of the spacing between members(about 2 inches or so)
More importantly, the top of the fence line changes horozontaly, kind of like a wave(I suppose for aesthetic reasons) with some ornamental du-dad fashioned atop each vertical fence element.

Anyway, when I drive to work each morning, the sun is above and behind the fence.
I notice the interferance pattern, but a startling thing happens as I approach, roughly, about 100 feet from it:
A black and white interferance image of the back fence, with all the du-dads, appears with exceptional crispness and is about 4-times larger(width-wise) than the fence itself.
It is an awesome sight, an have seen it hundreds of times. It appears as though I am looking at a magnified negative image of the back fence with exquisite detail. When the sun is not behind it the image is barely noticable.
Is this a common feature of interferance patterns?
Also, if I take the time to take pictures, will the phenomenon show up?

Science news on Phys.org
I should point-out that the exceptionally fine detail I see is with respect to the outline of the back fence and top du-dads. No "non-edge" detail is observable.

Well, if your eye can see it, so can a camera...

- Warren

Do you mean magnification of the fringes (by your first topic)?

Where does the pattern appear? That's the only thing i can't follow. Sounds interesting though. Can you snap a few pictures?

I'm thinking what sporff is too [unless I misunderstood your message].

In my Serway, it says that interference patterns only occur when the spacing between the slits is approximately that of the wavelength of the EMR.

Thanks all, I've been away. I will more closely examine this to correct or further address the issue.
I am not sure that this is not some type of optical illusion or mis-interpretation on my part. Nonetheless I will endeavor to more accurately experience the event(it has previously always been by a moving car), so I will do a "walk-by" in the next week.

1. Can interference cause magnification in a telescope?

Yes, interference can cause magnification in a telescope. Interference is the phenomena where two or more waves overlap and either amplify or cancel each other out. In a telescope, this can cause the light waves from an object to interfere with each other, resulting in an amplified or magnified image.

2. How does interference cause magnification in a microscope?

In a microscope, interference can cause magnification by increasing the resolution of the image. When light waves pass through a sample and interact with the lens, they can interfere with each other in a way that enhances the contrast and details of the image, resulting in magnification.

3. Can interference cause magnification in everyday objects?

Yes, interference can cause magnification in everyday objects such as soap bubbles, CDs, and oil slicks. These objects have a thin film that reflects light, and when the light waves reflect off of the front and back surfaces of the film, they can interfere with each other and create a magnified image.

4. What other factors can contribute to magnification besides interference?

Besides interference, magnification can also be caused by the properties of the lens or mirror being used, the distance between the object and the lens or mirror, and the distance between the lens or mirror and the image being viewed. These factors can all affect the angle and intensity of the light waves, resulting in magnification.

5. How can interference be controlled to achieve desired magnification?

Interference can be controlled by adjusting the angle and intensity of the light waves, as well as the properties of the lens or mirror being used. By manipulating these factors, interference can be harnessed to achieve the desired magnification in a telescope, microscope, or other optical instruments.