Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can it be solved: 2nd order non-linear diff. equation

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    Hope I have posted this in the right section, this question is half differential equation and half finite difference method. The equation I have is a form of the Lucas Washburn equation, which is concerned with capillary rise:

[tex]\rho\left[\left(z+\lambda\right)z''_{tt}+(z'_{t})^{2}\right]+Vzz'_{t}+\rho g z=F[/tex]

[tex]\lambda,\rho[/tex], F & V are constants,initial conditions are z(0)=0, and z'(0)=0
    The Equation in another form:

[tex]z\ddot{z}+\dot{z}^{2}=az\dot{z}+bz+c[/tex]

Am I correct in thinking that this differential equation has no analytical solution? In light of that I want to try and solve for z(t) numerically using a finite difference method but am unsure about how to reform this equation into a from I can use. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Teller

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you could use any numerical integration technique - Euler's method, Runge Kutta, Leapfrog, etc. - on the "another form" after solving for the highest-order derivative in terms of the others.

z'' = az' + b + c/z - z'*z'/z

then

z_(n+1) = z_(n) + z'_(n)*delta_t
    z'_(n+1) = z'_(n) + z''_(n)*delta_t
    z''_(n+1) = az'_(n+1) + b + c/z_(n+1) - z'_(n+1)*z'_(n+1)/z_(n+1)

No?

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
    Surprisingly, the system is integrable as long as we have a = 0. The solution is not suitable for perturbation theory, however, since it must be given implicitly in terms of non-elementary functions.

If a = 0 and c = 0, then the unknown function can be solved for in terms non-elementary functions.

If a = 0 and b = 0 the solution is:

[tex]\sqrt{c t^2+2 c c_2 t-\frac{e^{2 c_1}}{c}+c c_2^2}[/tex]

I mention these special cases in case any of a,b,c are small perturbations, but it looks like in the general case the equation cannot be reduced to integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook