Can it be 2nd order non-linear diff. equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and finite difference method for solving it. The equation in question is a form of the Lucas Washburn equation, and the person speaking is unsure if it has an analytical solution. They are seeking suggestions for numerically solving the equation using a finite difference method. The conversation also mentions some special cases where the equation may have a solution in terms of non-elementary functions.
teller
Hope I have posted this in the right section, this question is half differential equation and half finite difference method. The equation I have is a form of the Lucas Washburn equation, which is concerned with capillary rise:

[tex]\rho\left[\left(z+\lambda\right)z''_{tt}+(z'_{t})^{2}\right]+Vzz'_{t}+\rho g z=F[/tex]

[tex]\lambda,\rho[/tex], F & V are constants,initial conditions are z(0)=0, and z'(0)=0
The Equation in another form:

[tex]z\ddot{z}+\dot{z}^{2}=az\dot{z}+bz+c[/tex]

Am I correct in thinking that this differential equation has no analytical solution? In light of that I want to try and solve for z(t) numerically using a finite difference method but am unsure about how to reform this equation into a from I can use. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Teller

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you could use any numerical integration technique - Euler's method, Runge Kutta, Leapfrog, etc. - on the "another form" after solving for the highest-order derivative in terms of the others.

z'' = az' + b + c/z - z'*z'/z

then

z_(n+1) = z_(n) + z'_(n)*delta_t
z'_(n+1) = z'_(n) + z''_(n)*delta_t
z''_(n+1) = az'_(n+1) + b + c/z_(n+1) - z'_(n+1)*z'_(n+1)/z_(n+1)

No?

Surprisingly, the system is integrable as long as we have a = 0. The solution is not suitable for perturbation theory, however, since it must be given implicitly in terms of non-elementary functions.

If a = 0 and c = 0, then the unknown function can be solved for in terms non-elementary functions.

If a = 0 and b = 0 the solution is:

[tex]\sqrt{c t^2+2 c c_2 t-\frac{e^{2 c_1}}{c}+c c_2^2}[/tex]

I mention these special cases in case any of a,b,c are small perturbations, but it looks like in the general case the equation cannot be reduced to integration.

1. What is a 2nd order non-linear differential equation?

A 2nd order non-linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives up to the second order, where the function and its derivatives are not directly proportional to each other.

2. How is a 2nd order non-linear differential equation different from a 1st order differential equation?

A 2nd order non-linear differential equation involves the second derivative of the function, while a 1st order differential equation involves only the first derivative. Additionally, a 2nd order non-linear differential equation is not directly proportional, whereas a 1st order differential equation is.

3. Can a 2nd order non-linear differential equation be solved analytically?

In some cases, a 2nd order non-linear differential equation can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, and differentiation. However, in most cases, numerical methods are required to approximate the solution.

4. What are the applications of 2nd order non-linear differential equations in science?

2nd order non-linear differential equations are commonly used to model physical phenomena in science, such as the motion of a pendulum, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also used in engineering to design systems and control processes.

5. How can one determine if a given differential equation is 2nd order non-linear?

To determine if a differential equation is 2nd order non-linear, you must first check if the highest derivative in the equation is of order 2. Then, you must check if the equation is non-linear, meaning that the function and its derivatives are not directly proportional to each other. If both of these conditions are met, then the equation is a 2nd order non-linear differential equation.