• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Can it happen

• Thread starter abia ubong
  • Start date
shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Poop-Loops said:
By the way, I wasn't aware that there were even 10k mathmaticians in the world. :p
The MathSciNet Author Database contains 429,481 entries. Now some of these are dead and not all may consider themselves mathematicians, but it also lists 11,304 active reviewers, they'll mostly be alive and qualify for the title of mathematician. Note that not every mathematician is an active reviewer so this 11,304 should be taken as a lower bound for the number of mathematicians (possibly a poor one).

If you want to count math PhD's, according to the http://www.ams.org/employment/04-First-corrected.pdf [Broken] there were 1,041 granted in the US alone for 2003-2004, and it appears there have steadily been about a thousand per year for the past few years at least. I couldn't find the total number of math PhD's overall, but at the rate the US is producing them, I'd conjecture that there are far, far more than 10,000 alive at any time.

I guess that more people than you expect find mathematics not "mind-numbing" but rather stimulating enough to want to spend their lives doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
10k mathematicians sounds like a fascinating prospect. Imagine all of them in a very large auditorium :tongue2:.

Then again, I remember reading Voltaire's Candide, and when the protagonist goes to El Dorado, the king ends up ordering a contraption built to get over a valley using three thousand physicists so that Candide could get across. :surprised :surprised

abia ubong:

There is no chance of you becoming the greatest mathematician of all time. The greatest mathematician of all time would not be concerned if he is the greatest mathematician of all time; he would be studying mathematics right now.

Chances are you have just completed high school. You have no idea what higher mathematics entails, and are completely blinded by the stars in your eyes.

Go to college, and then go to more college. Study, learn, and do not be concerned about titles. Do it for the love of the material.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
abia ubong said:
i am 16 a high school grad i wanted 2 know if it was possible for me 2 be the greatest mathematician of all times ,already my friends call me the goat i.e the greatest of all times pls let me know
where do these people come from?

He lives in Nigeria, thats why he has somewhat poor grammar. Give him a break.

Now, setting up for best mathematician ever, it will make you hate yourself everytime you make the slightest mistake. I suggest you just go on as you do, without thinking about becoming the best, and then see what comes from it.
Now, so which math class are you currently taking?

Instead, hope to become the worst mathematician ever. Then, when you start failing at that, you will be happy because it means you are good.

PL

As Maxwell said, you are still in high school. Wait until you get out to uni, the real world and see how much of a big fish in a small pond you were.

It is far more likely that you become a good mathematician and stumble across a world changing discovery.

thank you for maxwell for the advice,also moose, i speak voluble english i only use those to make my work faster and this goes to everyone who thinks because i am a nigerian my grammar is porous ,you have all made a very big mistake,also pengwuino at least you now know i am from nigeria ,now locrian what have i said that makes you laugh?thanks to all you who gave real advice, i am grateful .thank you too space tiger

gosh i made a mistake ,thank u maxwell for theadvice

abia ubong said:
i am 16 a high school grad i wanted 2 know if it was possible for me 2 be the greatest mathematician of all times ,already my friends call me the goat i.e the greatest of all times pls let me know
I foresee you will become the greatest of all the jedi...I mean mathematicians.

mozart,what do u mean by jedi?