Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Can it!

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    Ok, so the title is pretty catchy, lol, but anyways...

I was at work the other day and we had a rubberband fight (just playing around) and my boss joined in, and he got the spray air can (like the kind you spray your computers with to clean) and he shook the can and got the liquid stuff on me and the other lady I work with. I know on the can it says it can cause frost bite, but some of it got in our ears. Well, the other lady says her ear still kinda hurts, and it's been over a week now.

Do you know if there is anything either one of us can do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

Gold Member

The propellant can cause tissue damage if it comes in contact with skin or even more delicate tissues. Such sprays are never agitated, and are used in the proper orientation (usually with the base of the nozzle up and the nozzle horizontal) to blow away contaminants. I won't make judgments, but I would never agitate such a spray and then squirt it onto another person.
  4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Could there be serous ear damage done to her? She told me as we were leaving today, that its agitated still. I know a doctor will be able to tell for sure, but she doesn't want to do that yet, she wants to wait a bit, I think. I think she really needs to get it checked out/
  5. Jan 7, 2009 #4

Gold Member

Any suspected damage to sensitive tissues should be checked out ASAP. The longer that tissue-damage is neglected, the more chance for scarring or worse.
  6. Jan 7, 2009 #5
    Ok, I'll text her ASAP and tell her to get it checked soon.

Thanks for your help turbo!
  7. Jan 7, 2009 #6

Staff: Mentor

Can you say Darwin Awards?

Like people messing around spraying each other with fire extinguishers -- what happens when gas goes from high pressure to low pressure? What adverse tissue effects can result from exposure to that low-pressure gas?
  8. Jan 7, 2009 #7
    Hmm, I'm willing to bet, it's not all that good.
  9. Jan 8, 2009 #8
    inner ear or outer ear?
  10. Jan 9, 2009 #9
    Well, He only meant to spray it on the outer part of the ear (just messing around) and well...he might have got some on the inner ear. Though my co-worker didn't complain of her ear hurting today, so maybe a flase alarm.
  11. Jan 9, 2009 #10
    ah, well, outer ear damage, i'd just suck it up as tax for goofing off.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?