What is the work done by kinetic friction on a block sliding down a ramp?

In summary, the question asks for the work done by friction as a 25.0 kg block slides down a 5.00 m ramp at an angle of 36.0 degrees with a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.220. The work done by friction is not 0, but rather negative, as friction applies a force in the opposite direction of motion. The vector expression for work is W = Fd cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. In this case, the net force is the force of friction, and since it always opposes the direction of motion, the work done by friction will always be negative.
pdrjuarez

Homework Statement

A 25.0 kg block slides down a 5.00 m ramp that is elevated at 36.0 degrees. The kinetic friction coeff. is 0.220.
-What is the work done by friction as the block slides down the ramp?

Ok, so as far as I know, work is achieved only if you apply a force on something and move that something in the same direction as the force. Here, friction is applying a force of 43N (I calculated it), but it's not achieving motion in the same direction. Therefore, work done by friction is 0.

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done is not 0, its simply negative.
You are right that W = Fd. But friction does apply a force, and the object does move, just in the opposite direction. So the work is F*(-d)

pdrjuarez said:

Homework Statement

A 25.0 kg block slides down a 5.00 m ramp that is elevated at 36.0 degrees. The kinetic friction coeff. is 0.220.
-What is the work done by friction as the block slides down the ramp?

Ok, so as far as I know, work is achieved only if you apply a force on something and move that something in the same direction as the force. Here, friction is applying a force of 43N (I calculated it), but it's not achieving motion in the same direction. Therefore, work done by friction is 0.

Am I right?

Nope. :) Positive work is produced when the force and displacement are parallel.

Take a look at the vector expression for work:

[tex]W=\vec F\cdot \vec d[/tex]

[tex]W=Fd\cos{\theta}[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

This way, I hope you can see that work can be either positive, negative, or zero. All depending on [tex]\cos{\theta}[/tex]

Review your notes

Straight out of a physics textbook, Work done on a particle by a constant force (constant magnitude and direction) is defined to be the product of the magnitude of its displacement (d) times the component of the force parallel to its displacement.

In equation form, [tex]W=F_{net}d \cdot cos\theta[/tex]

Remember that it says Fnet, not F. Remember also, there is only a net force on the object if [tex]a\neq0[/tex] So you can only do work if there is a net force on the object. The exception is if the question is asking you to determine the work done by a specific force, other than the net force.

In your question the force of friction IS your net force. So assuming your calculation for the force of friction is correct (i won't check it) Fnet = 43N. Remember, Friction opposes the direction of motion ALWAYS. What way is your object moving? In which direction does the force of friction act?

remember that when theta is 180 degrees (opposite to the direction of motion) cos 180 degrees equals -1. Which would imply the work done by friction is always NEGATIVE...

Try again and let me know :)

1. Can kinetic friction do positive work?

Yes, kinetic friction can do positive work. When an object is moving on a surface and kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction, it can slow down the object's speed and decrease its kinetic energy. This means that kinetic friction is doing positive work by decreasing the object's energy.

2. Can kinetic friction do negative work?

No, kinetic friction cannot do negative work. Negative work is defined as the work done by a force in the direction opposite to the displacement of the object. Kinetic friction always acts in the opposite direction to an object's motion, so it cannot do negative work.

3. Can kinetic friction do work on an object at rest?

No, kinetic friction cannot do work on an object at rest. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, and in order for work to be done, there must be a displacement. If an object is at rest, there is no displacement and therefore no work is being done.

4. Can kinetic friction do work on an object in a vacuum?

Yes, kinetic friction can do work on an object in a vacuum. Vacuum refers to a space without air or any other particles, but it does not eliminate the presence of forces like kinetic friction. If an object is moving on a surface in a vacuum, kinetic friction will still act on it and do work.

5. Can kinetic friction do work on an object with constant velocity?

No, kinetic friction cannot do work on an object with constant velocity. If an object is moving with a constant velocity, it means that there is no change in its speed or direction, and therefore no net work is being done on the object. Kinetic friction only acts to change the speed or direction of an object, so it cannot do work on an object with constant velocity.